How to make user fields visible to all users

Hi,
we have a closed community forum (invite only). On sign up we ask users to provide position, organisation and country as well as interests (tags). How can we get those fields to be visible next to the usernames when users click on “users”? we want them to see who is on the platform, where they work and who is online at the time. We are not interested in seeing how many likes they got or time spent on the platform. Can this be adjusted?
(I am a new user so please explain this to me like I am complete idiot.)
Thanks!

Custom user fields can be displayed on the user card and the user’s summary page. To display a custom field on the user card, select the ‘Show on user card?’ checkbox when you create or edit a field. To display a custom field on the user’s summary page, select the ‘Show on public profile?’ checkbox when you create or edit a field.

To display these fields on the users page, for example https://meta.discourse.org/u would require a fairly advanced customization. The fields that are displayed on the users page cannot be adjusted through site settings. If the users page is not useful for your site, you can hide it by deselecting the enable user directory Site Setting.

6 Likes

Thanks very much Simon.
Quick question: where are those settings? (under what heading?)

To display a custom field on the user card, select the ‘Show on user card?’ checkbox when you create or edit a field. To display a custom field on the user’s summary page, select the ‘Show on public profile?’ checkbox when you create or edit a field.

Hi Valerie

If you go to your Admin dashboard, click on Customize and then User Fields and you will find the list

Regards

Robert

3 Likes

Simon, can you tell me what I should do to make this users page customization. I want to display user field on this users page.

Usually if I say something would require advanced customization what I mean is that I don’t know how to do it. Your best approach to figure out how to add custom user fields to the users directory would be to find an existing plugin or theme component that adds fields to the directory and then look at how it has been accomplished. I am not aware of any example code for this type of customization though.

2 Likes