How to use Discourse as microwebsite in mobile app

Hey everyone,

I’m currently working on a proof of concept (POC) where I want to test running the Discourse micro web suite within a Flutter app. My goal is to make it feel like a native experience, and I also want the app’s login to handle the tokens. Notification support should also be there. Are there any architectures I should look into to achieve this?
Additionally, is there a Flutter version of Discourse available to simplify my work and create a more scalable solution?

4 Likes

Hi, welcome to meta :wave:

I’m not sure if it could help, but there is this Lexicon project: Lexicon: a customizable native mobile app for your Discourse site that you might be interested in how it handles features such as notifications.

Unfortunately, I’m not aware of a Flutter project. :thinking:

2 Likes

There is Flutter Mobile App for your Discourse Community, but you probably already found that while searching.

1 Like

@Umeey_US for push notifications, it depends on what you plan to use to actually dispatch notifications to Apple and Google so they are pushed to your users’ devices.

In our case, we needed our system to integrate with Expo’s Push Notification service, so we ended up building our own plugin for this.

However, if you wanted to use something like OneSignal, you could leverage the existing work done in the Discourse OneSignal plugin.

Perhaps there are other plugins that integrate with similar services that you could use.

1 Like