Importing from Zulip?

Hi community,

A team I’m involved with has been using Zulip for a few months now, and I’m looking into the possibility that we could use Discourse instead. I’m curious if there’s a way to work with a Zulip backup/export to import history into a Discourse instance? I wasn’t able to find anything here on the subject yet…

Paul

Welcome, @paulrudy! I don’t see an existing Zulip importer. Since Zulip is more of a chat than a forum, I guess no one has wanted to do that (or if they did, they didn’t bother to contribute their code to Discourse).

If you’re familiar with Ruby, or programming in general, you can take an existing importer and modify it to work with your Zulip database. I don’t see any importers that read a postgres database, but since it’s what Discourse uses, it shouldn’t be too hard to figure out.

If you don’t have the time to do that, but do have a budget you can seek help in #marketplace or contact me via my migration quote form .

2 Likes

Thanks very much, Jay! I’m an experimenting amateur when it comes to programming. I may give it a shot myself, and then if I’m way over my head, I’ll reach out for help.

1 Like

I wrote several importers before I really knew Ruby, but a long time ago I took a course in which I learned a bunch of (now mostly unused) programming languages. Good luck!

Since Zulip is really a chat program (from what I could glean in 30 seconds), it might make sense to keep it for transient discussion and have Discourse for things that need more thought and attention.

3 Likes

Good point. Although the way we use Zulip (and others use chat apps like Slack) seems to include both contemporaneous chat as well as archive-worthy discussion. I hesitate to ask people to have to keep track of two platforms. Any reason why Discourse is less than ideal for chat?