Importing Xenforo to Discourse

hi, can u help me with converting xenforo to discourse? tnx

What are the list of XenForo Data covered on this import?
I hope to import this list:

XenForo Page Nodes

• Pages

XenForo

• Profile Fields
  • Member Groups
  • Members
  • Status Updates / Profile Comments
  • Status Comments
  • Private Messages
  • Private Message Replies
  • Attachments
  • Member Ranks

XenForo Forums

• Forums
  • Topics

Got this error:

# bundle install --no-deployment
Don't run Bundler as root. Bundler can ask for sudo if it is needed, and installing your bundle as root will break this application for all non-root users on this machine.
Your Gemfile has no gem server sources. If you need gems that are not already on your machine, add a line like this to your Gemfile:
source 'https://rubygems.org'
Could not find gem 'mysql2' in any of the gem sources listed in your Gemfile.

Different Error now.

root@discourse-app:/var/www/discourse# RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec ruby script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb
No connection to db, unable to retrieve site settings! (normal when running db:create)
No connection to db, unable to retrieve site settings! (normal when running db:create)
Traceback (most recent call last):
	31: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:3:in `<main>'
	30: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:3:in `require'
	29: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:20:in `<top (required)>'
	28: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:544:in `<class:Base>'
	27: from /var/www/discourse/lib/discourse.rb:411:in `system_user'
	26: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/core.rb:196:in `find_by'
	25: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/core.rb:196:in `all?'
	24: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/core.rb:196:in `each'
	23: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/core.rb:196:in `block in find_by'
	22: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/model_schema.rb:336:in `columns_hash'
	21: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/model_schema.rb:456:in `load_schema'
	20: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/2.5.0/monitor.rb:226:in `mon_synchronize'
	19: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/model_schema.rb:459:in `block in load_schema'
	18: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/attribute_decorators.rb:51:in `load_schema!'
	17: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/attributes.rb:234:in `load_schema!'
	16: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/model_schema.rb:466:in `load_schema!'
	15: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_handling.rb:90:in `connection'
	14: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_handling.rb:118:in `retrieve_connection'
	13: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:1008:in `retrieve_connection'
	12: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:380:in `connection'
	11: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:521:in `checkout'
	10: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:793:in `acquire_connection'
	 9: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:832:in `try_to_checkout_new_connection'
	 8: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:853:in `checkout_new_connection'
	 7: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/abstract/connection_pool.rb:809:in `new_connection'
	 6: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:40:in `postgresql_connection'
	 5: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:40:in `new'
	 4: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:215:in `initialize'
	 3: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.0/lib/active_record/connection_adapters/postgresql_adapter.rb:684:in `connect'
	 2: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/pg-1.0.0/lib/pg.rb:56:in `connect'
	 1: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/pg-1.0.0/lib/pg.rb:56:in `new'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.5.0/gems/pg-1.0.0/lib/pg.rb:56:in `initialize': FATAL:  Peer authentication failed for user "discourse" (PG::ConnectionBad)

Yay no idea how long this will take :smiley:

2 Likes

This is correct right?

Guide needs an update I think.
Before running this, directory must be within /var/www/discourse/.
cd /var/www/discourse/

3 Likes

I used this script today and it worked well. The only issue I had was that it imported all of the banned users and soft deleted (hidden) posts/threads from Xenforo. That made hundreds of spam posts/threads visible in Discourse after the import.

If you have a lot of spam post/threads that you don’t want to import, then here are a few SQL changes you should consider making to the “xenforo.rb” script:

1. Add the WHERE clause below to ensure only active, unbanned users are imported.

def import_users
     puts '', "creating users"

total_count = mysql_query("SELECT count(*) count FROM #{TABLE_PREFIX}user;").first['count']

batches(BATCH_SIZE) do |offset|
       results = mysql_query(
         "SELECT user_id id, username, email, custom_title title, register_date created_at,
                 last_activity last_visit_time, user_group_id, is_moderator, is_admin, is_staff
          FROM #{TABLE_PREFIX}user
          WHERE user_state = 'valid' AND is_banned = 0
          LIMIT #{BATCH_SIZE}
          OFFSET #{offset};")

2. Modify the WHERE clause below to ensure only visible threads/posts are imported.
    def import_posts
     puts "", "creating topics and posts"

total_count = mysql_query("SELECT count(*) count from #{TABLE_PREFIX}post").first["count"]

posts_sql = "
         SELECT p.post_id id,
                t.thread_id topic_id,
                #{@prefix_as_category ? 't.prefix_id' : 't.node_id'} category_id,
                t.title title,
                t.first_post_id first_post_id,
                p.user_id user_id,
                p.message raw,
                p.post_date created_at
         FROM #{TABLE_PREFIX}post p,
              #{TABLE_PREFIX}thread t
         WHERE p.thread_id = t.thread_id AND p.message_state = 'visible' AND t.discussion_state = 'visible'
         ORDER BY p.post_date
         LIMIT #{BATCH_SIZE}" # needs OFFSET
5 Likes

Sure thanks for that, can we fold those changes into our script @techAPJ?

4 Likes

Done via:

Thanks for the tips @msinger. :+1:

5 Likes

8 posts were split to a new topic: Help migrating Xenforo

Hi guy’s,

I sucssesufuly migrated Xenforo DB with 1500 memebr and ~75.000 posts to new servere where is Discourse.

One question about attachment… from script I can see that if attachments folder exist then script will do import, my question is where I need to put attac from old server in:

a) In Docker part of server (somewhere)
b) In origin location /var/discourse/shared/standalone/tmp/attachments

?

1 Like

Anyone know path???

1 Like

You put the files wherever you want that is accessible from the machine doing the import and put that path here:

ATTACHMENT_DIR = '/tmp/attachments'

If you’re running inside a docker container, and put it under var/discourse/shared/standalone/tmp/attachments then you’d use /shared/tmp/attachments for the path. You can check by looking for the files when you’re inside the container.

1 Like

Okay Jay thank you for information, I’m just doing clean install this time with attachments folder setup, I will put then in /shared/tmp/attachments and get back here with results.

One quick question… is there anyway to import password for account’s too?

Can someone look where is problem?

root@my-app:/var/www/discourse# RAILS_ENV=production bundle exec ruby script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb
Loading existing groups...
Loading existing users...
Loading existing categories...
Loading existing posts...
Loading existing topics...

creating users
Skipping 100 already imported users
Skipping 4 already imported users

importing categories...
       23 / 23 (100.0%)  [326682 items/min]
creating topics and posts
       74 / 74752 (  0.1%)  [99817 items/min]  Traceback (most recent call last):
        18: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:396:in `<main>'
        17: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:47:in `perform'
        16: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:32:in `execute'
        15: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:174:in `import_posts'
        14: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:869:in `batches'
        13: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:869:in `loop'
        12: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:870:in `block in batches'
        11: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:180:in `block in import_posts'
        10: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:490:in `create_posts'
         9: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:490:in `each'
         8: from /var/www/discourse/script/import_scripts/base.rb:491:in `block in create_posts'
         7: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:186:in `block (2 levels) in import_posts'
         6: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:315:in `process_xenforo_post'
         5: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:324:in `process_xf_attachments'
         4: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/2.6.0/set.rb:338:in `each'
         3: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/2.6.0/set.rb:338:in `each_key'
         2: from script/import_scripts/xenforo.rb:326:in `block in process_xf_attachments'
         1: from /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.1/lib/active_support/core_ext/string/filters.rb:22:in `squish!'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/2.6.0/gems/activesupport-6.0.1/lib/active_support/core_ext/string/filters.rb:22:in `gsub!': can't modify frozen String (FrozenError)
root@my-app:/var/www/discourse#

I’ve put this time attachments to: var/discourse/shared/standalone/tmp/attachments

I’ve found it… problem is that a folder containing attachments for import MUST be inside Docker app in patch /var/www/discourse/…/tmp/attachments

Now it’s OK script is going on, it will finish in ~1.5h

edit: It seems that again import attachments not working… im currently at 78% of import, and in every post where we had some picture or attachments stay [ATTACH]9788[/ATTACH] and number between tags and number of uploaded so next one is [ATTACH]9789[/ATTACH]…

Any help with this will be glad :confused:

1 Like

If you imported any posts before you properly set the attachment_dir, you’ll need to delete all posts and start the import again.

Unfortunately import is done right now and I dont see in log any information regardings attachments?

If you ran the import script and the attachment directory didn’t exist it skipped the attachments.