Improve error message for reserved usernames

Hello all,
I have on my instance a reserved character string. When users attempt to change their usernames to this
however they get an error that it is already in use.

Is there a way I can specifically override that string only? To be more specific the string in a user account whena user goes to update their username manually.

To confirm, the username is NOT taken. It simply contains the reserved substring.

You can go to https://yoursite.com/admin/customize/site_texts?q=, search for “Sorry, that” and replace it with whatever you feel is most appropriate.

2 Likes

@pfaffman

That would work however that would override a scenario when a username is in fact already taken.

We wouldn’t want to say username is taken when it just contains a reserved string.

For example:

jon is already in use but I updated that message. Jon now sees: Sorry, that username contains a reserved string

Get what I mean?

I do. In the immediate term, you can edit the message to say something like “It’s taken or contains RESERVED WORD.” That would give you a solution, albeit imperfect, immediately.

What you want seems like a reasonable feature request, as the error message could be more robust and explicit.

4 Likes