Improving the category list in the hamburger menu

It can be merged. I am waiting for PR approval.

2 Likes

It’s merged and live on meta now.

hamburger-categories

5 Likes

Is this enforced or will I be able to turn it off in site settings (i.e. revert back to the full category list)?

1 Like

No, it doesn’t have any settings now.

@vinothkannans All the category links and the “more” link don’t have hover effect.

I find the “more” a bit misleading. It suggests the list will expand when in fact it is a link to the categories page.

The two are different UX, the one is a shorter list of category titles, the other a list of categories interspersed with a lot of other information. Personally, for getting to a specific category “quickly” the shorter the list the better.

2 Likes

I think the “more” link should count how many more categories there are @vinothkannans

Also maybe put it on the same line?

Ignore the font color mismatch, just a mockup. Or hmm maybe even simpler than that? What do you think of this @awesomerobot?

Yes let’s go with the above @vinothkannans

10 Likes

To me 6 feels a bit too little, can we double it?

4 Likes

I am satisfied with the number of categories, but I have several people wrote that 6 is not enough. Can be to withdraw the number of in administrative interface. Just a suggestion.

1 Like

Doubling is a bit extreme, let’s try 8 for now @vinothkannans … or just make it a site setting and people can go crazynuts :mouse: if they want to put 99 in there

6 Likes

Yeah I think you are right site setting is unavoidable here.

Default of 8 for now is fine

6 Likes

I agree. And it’s the same link of the Category title a few pixels above. The same link with different texts smells like something is wrong with the UX.

Hide categories

1. Open the menu and select the category UX

UX

1. In the profile

1. I’m updating the page.

The category remained in the menu

UX

3 Likes

2018-07-29_01-12-57

Please make it possible to save old behavior (without More!). It’s real pain for our users.

Both the changes are done and available in meta. Introduced new site setting hamburger menu categories count (with default 8) to control the number of categories to display.

7 Likes

Muted categories will not be removed from the menu?

1 Like

Yes, now I’m working on that.

P.S. @Stranik I’ve fixed it here.

3 Likes

I would appreciate a site setting.

We got complains from our users with the 6 categories only and even 8 will not really help.
I myself as one of the admins had there about 175 categories and sub categories so for myself the smaller menu is fine. :wink:
But our users where used to use the hamburger menu and did not really use the categories overview page.

1 Like

It’s already available :wink:

6 Likes

sorry I had missed your answer, my fault :frowning:
Very good news, so I will update to the latest version and will set the value a little bit higher for our users.

2 Likes