Improving the category list in the hamburger menu

Thanks, it works! It is perfectly :+1: :tada:

4 Likes

I can confirm works fine, we did set it now to 20 categories.
Only the translation of the word “more” in the german user interface is not yet there. :wink:
But that will probably follow soon.
And nice feature that it now also does show how many more categories there are, thanks for adding it.

3 Likes

HUGE THANKS! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Let’s rename this to header_dropdown_category_count, it is a clearer name and we really want to avoid :hamburger: in our documentations

Overall I am loving this change :heart::green_heart::orange_heart::purple_heart:

9 Likes

The site setting is renamed :+1:

5 Likes

The first thing I want to say is a huge thank you to everyone who took part in the creation of this good menu.

:+1: :tada:

But I have one question. And the behavior that is demonstrated below is scheduled? I am not subscribed to this category, why it takes place above other categories (subscribed to).

Yes, there was a new post, and it should be in the tape above others, a in the menu?

This is me modeling the situation, I don’t actually have any ignored sections here. And I had to wait a while to get the result higher.

2 Likes

It’s by design. If category have unread/new posts then it will be displayed above all other.

3 Likes

Good. And if new topics are created very often. (one of my sites, themes are created up to 20 per minute). Then there will be no point in subscribing; categories with new topics will always be at the top of the list?

Yes, I also think we should only prioritize categories by unread topics. We can limit new topics check in user preference categories. @sam @codinghorror thoughts?

1 Like

Hmm, I think we are gold plating this now… I would prefer to keep the behavior simple rather than adding a lot of complex rules.

3 Likes

IMHO, but the simplest behavior is to see what we are subscribed to. With enough activity on the site, the categories we subscribe to do not appear in the visible area.

I signed up, I see it.

Model, I subscribed to the category, but I will see it only when there is no activity in other categories, it is more difficult.

For me… the current behavior is perfect, I read everything on meta so I find it really nice to get an overview of the categories I am going to have to dip in to.

I am very much with @codinghorror here, lets just live with the current behavior for a few weeks.

7 Likes

Second opinion:

In our scenario this breaks the UX, as we have some kind of logical ordering of categories and we have kept the number of categories relatively low.

Now that categories are sorted based on popularity (or something) the ordering is totally illogical and therefore confusing. We like to keep all categories visible, since that enables one click/tap navigation around the community.

Is the a way to revert back to old fixed sorting of categories?

Set header dropdown category count to the number of categories you have or higher.

3 Likes

Are you sure? AFAIK, that will display all of the categories without needing to go to the categories page to get to them, but the sort order will change. As long as the names and colors are easily recognizable it shouldn’t be much of a problem. But those members used to relying on “muscle memory” based on a category’s position in the menu will need to relearn their navigation habit.

4 Likes

Can anyone confirm if the category list sorting is simply by number of unread/new topics and nothing else?

Thanks!

1 Like

@awesomerobot I think the sideburger works kind of deprecates the OP here.

Perhaps we post something on meta to share some of the ideas we have and close this topic off?

3 Likes