Incorrect Log entry - Export entity, user_archive

We have a log entry for:

Staff User: [Users Name]
Action: export entity
Subject: user_archive

The user listed is not actually a staff member, so the log is incorrect in that regard. It’s a new user who just signed up.

Also, what specific user action triggers that log entry as I haven’t seen it before?

What’s weird about it? Any user can export all their posts / topics directly from their user page. This has existed as a default option for users since Discourse 1.1 as I recall… try it yourself.

1 Like

Hey Jeff, the weird part is that the discourse logs list the user as being “staff user”, when they’re not staff. This concerned me as I thought some user had somehow gained staff rights, like admin or mod. I wondered if we had been hacked. But it looks like Discourse is just incorrectly describing the user as staff.

And because I saw the subject “user archive” and didn’t know exactly what that refers to, I was concerned that someone with staff-level rights had exported the forums full user list. Hense my question about what that log entry references.

That’s all. LOL.

I see. This may be @techapj’s bug? We added logging to exports and this might be in that code path.

2 Likes

This feature was actually added by @vinothkannans in:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/9281b72308c7844396d41d67d61305b93d148236

2 Likes

Ah yes my bad @vinothkannans probably your bug. Not all exports are staff…

2 Likes

I don’t know as I would call it a bug instead of outdated UI - unless there are plans to have a non-staff logs page.

To me there is no confusion between user_list and user_archive. What is incorrect is the left column head text - “Staff User”. I think the easy fix would be to simply change that (and the filter label) to “User”.

5 Likes

Agree with @Mittineague here. We log other non-staff actions like username changes. A header change seems simplest.

4 Likes

Done via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/2a94bf9dfb84e8fbd1aeaa5f3aa8dc34cf90e0d8

7 Likes