Install discourse alongside WordPress in a dedicated server

I have asked a question earlier today about how to have multiple instances in a single server and what are the ideal configurations I need for the new server.

After hours of researching I have decided to use the dedicated server I already have in FastComet. The reason behind this decision is simply it has got a E5-2680 v3 @ 2.50GHz + 16gb of ram where I have installed few WordPress sites and it’s barely breaking a sweat.

My server is managed so I can have FastComet guys install the packages I want. What are the possibility to run discourse instances in this server? Is it possible to install docker containers on a optimized server for WordPress with nginx without having issues in the future?

Totally possible, Yet it needs some additional configuration over the vanilla install.

Definitely possible, I’m running a similar setup but Future is unpredictable so I can’t speak of anything happening there.

2 Likes

It’s possible. There is a guide here for getting Discourse running through another instance of nginx on the host:

And the rest of the WordPress sites on the server can continue to run as they currently are.

3 Likes

Thanks for the hope @itsbhanusharma and @Cameron_D.

I have already sent this guide to FastComet team. Technical team will reach out to me and let me know if there’s any issues, otherwise I will surely breakdown the process into parts and publish a guide here so other users can save themselves from spending hours and hours figuring out what to do.

2 Likes

In case there is anything that they can’t figure out, be sure to post it here, I may be able to help out with the way I configure my own instance.

1 Like

This is something I was looking for.

We have discourse installed on a virtual server (with docker, of course).

I have a simple worpress installation in other server (with other subdomain), but I would like to move it to the discourse server.

I would like to install a docker container with WordPress and nginx.

But I am not sure how to do it after reading al posts mentioned here.

Here you solve it installing nginx outside docker and configuring a site for WordPress and another one for discourse, and passing discourse requests uting a pipe.
If I have understood it well that is what @Cameron_D says.

wont’t it be slower to use a pipe from to communicate nginx with the discourse install?

But you have to tweak discourse config.

Is there the option of using docker to install another WordPress+nginx container, similar to the discourse installation?

I suppose that the isolation level that docker provides would be good for not having security issues.