Install mini_racer gem on kali linux

When I ran the bundle install I got the following error:

Gem::Ext::BuildError: ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

current directory:
/tmp/bundler20170628-4322-ghx9vzmini_racer-0.1.9/gems/mini_racer-0.1.9/ext/mini_racer_extension
/usr/bin/ruby2.3 -r ./siteconf20170628-4322-1czxn7a.rb extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lpthread... yes
creating Makefile

To see why this extension failed to compile, please check the mkmf.log which can
be found here:

/tmp/bundler20170628-4322-ghx9vzmini_racer-0.1.9/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.3.0/mini_racer-0.1.9/mkmf.log

current directory:
/tmp/bundler20170628-4322-ghx9vzmini_racer-0.1.9/gems/mini_racer-0.1.9/ext/mini_racer_extension
make "DESTDIR=" clean

current directory:
make "DESTDIR="
compiling mini_racer_extension.cc
mini_racer_extension.cc:5:37: fatal error: libplatform/libplatform.h: No such
file or directory
 #include <libplatform/libplatform.h>
                                     ^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:207: recipe for target 'mini_racer_extension.o' failed
make: *** [mini_racer_extension.o] Error 1

make failed, exit code 2

Gem files will remain installed in
/tmp/bundler20170628-4322-ghx9vzmini_racer-0.1.9/gems/mini_racer-0.1.9 for
inspection.
Results logged to
/tmp/bundler20170628-4322-ghx9vzmini_racer-0.1.9/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.3.0/mini_racer-0.1.9/gem_make.out

An error occurred while installing mini_racer (0.1.9), and Bundler
cannot continue.
Make sure that `gem install mini_racer -v '0.1.9'` succeeds before bundling.

and when I use gem install mini_racer -v '0.1.9' to install the gem I got the following error:

Building native extensions.  This could take a while...
ERROR:  Error installing mini_racer:
	ERROR: Failed to build gem native extension.

current directory: /var/lib/gems/2.3.0/gems/mini_racer-0.1.9/ext/mini_racer_extension
/usr/bin/ruby2.3 -r ./siteconf20170628-4511-1jlgunl.rb extconf.rb
checking for main() in -lpthread... yes
creating Makefile

To see why this extension failed to compile, please check the mkmf.log which can be found here:

/var/lib/gems/2.3.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.3.0/mini_racer-0.1.9/mkmf.log

current directory: /var/lib/gems/2.3.0/gems/mini_racer-0.1.9/ext/mini_racer_extension
make "DESTDIR=" clean

make "DESTDIR="
compiling mini_racer_extension.cc
mini_racer_extension.cc:5:37: fatal error: libplatform/libplatform.h: No such file or directory
 #include <libplatform/libplatform.h>
                                     ^
compilation terminated.
Makefile:207: recipe for target 'mini_racer_extension.o' failed
make: *** [mini_racer_extension.o] Error 1

make failed, exit code 2

Gem files will remain installed in /var/lib/gems/2.3.0/gems/mini_racer-0.1.9 for inspection.
Results logged to /var/lib/gems/2.3.0/extensions/x86_64-linux/2.3.0/mini_racer-0.1.9/gem_make.out

and this is the mkmf.log file.
how should I solve this probelm?
can I download this gem manually to avoid this error?

You need to install whatever provides libplatform/libplatform.h. Given that Kali is Debian-derived, apparently, that’s probably nodejs-dev.

1 Like

I have that.
and I upgrade this by sudo apt-get upgrade nodejs-dev but the problem still exist.

Well, no, you don’t, because if you did, the compiler wouldn’t be complaining about

fatal error: libplatform/libplatform.h: No such file or directory

That’s not how you upgrade a single package.

Perhaps Kali doesn’t ship with a new enough version of nodejs-dev; if so, you’ll need to raise that on a Kali Linux-related support channel to obtain guidance on how to resolve that issue.

Hmmm is this a 32 bit kali linux or a 64 bit one?

Regardless try gem install libv8 if that does not work, raise an issue :arrow_forward: https://github.com/cowboyd/libv8

3 Likes

64bit kali.

no it doesn’t work

Is there any way to add ibplatform/libplatform.h to my system manually to avoid this error?

That’ll only get you past that specific error; the linker will then fail because it’s almost certain the library isn’t installed, either. This is not a Discourse-specific problem, it’s an issue with your distro.

3 Likes

This resolved the issue for me in another distro.