Introducing Discourse Chat (BETA)

This is entirely theoretical. The reality is different: people use a combination of networks, e.g., IRC, XMPP, Matrix, to circumvent the situation where Discourse does not have a chat channel. However, these networks are also used for different usage than just Discourse; in other words, many communities continue to exist without Discourse on those synchronous networks, and it would be a complete delusion to ignore this fact.

2 Likes

If you read my messages again, you’ll see that I’m only talking about communities that DO use forum / wiki / knowledge base / collaboration of other form. So if you’re answering me, the answer is offtopic.

3 Likes

I am super excited about this.

Few months ago I was in the process of incorporating babble. Just before I was about to roll it out the plugin broke.

For my community (demographic largely 40-60 year olds) many of them technophobic. For me the integration within the same platform is exactly what I need. I was super reluctant to introduce something like discord despite all its benefits.

I am lucky to be part of the test group and even at this early stage it looks ideal for my forum. Massive upgrade on babble. I can see how it will compliment my forum. How it will be intuitive to my community who have now adapted and become familiar with Discourse.

I appreciate different forums have different use cases with different chat needs. But for forums like mine this is a ideal. Much more preferential to chat software.

10 Likes

Am I allowed to share some screenshots of the closed chat feature from meta, to give a preview of what it looks like to my communities?

5 Likes

Sure, go ahead! :+1:

5 Likes

Yes, very interesting!
Is this chat support end-to-end encryption?
Thank you.

2 Likes

E2E is available in private messaging currently. Check out the plugin to learn more.

1 Like

I know very well that private messages support E2E.
how does this relate to this topic? we are discussing chat and not private messages here.

3 Likes

On our roadmap, some time in the next 12 months :slight_smile:

14 Likes

I’d absolutely love a “Discord Import” tool for Discourse Chat! :heart:

3 Likes

How do we enable this for public? Or is this not yet supported? (that is, I can enable Admin just fine; I cannot find out how to enable it for any other group or “everyone”)

1 Like

I’m assuming you can just add “trust_level_0” (or whatever level you want) to the groups that have access.

1 Like

I did try that. It doesn’t show in the list nor on the main page.

1 Like

You can’t add it here?

1 Like

I can add it. It doesn’t show up for myself though:

1 Like

Gotcha. You’ll need to go into one of your public category’s settings at set the “enable chat” flag, then.

The chat channels people have access to will be based on what they have access to on the forums…so if you just have the “staff” category set up with chat, most of your users won’t have access to any channels on chat.

Alternatively, you can create chat channels based on threads, but I’ve been testing it more with categories and haven’t had any major issues.

5 Likes

Will be fixed by:

1 Like

Sorry I was able to move (actually copy but it said ‘move’) @joffreyjaffeux from the chat to the topic! I wonder if members should be allowed to copy other user’s chat messages from chat to topics? [it doesn’t say anywhere that the chat message was moved by me! :arrow_up:]

Thanks! (:

1 Like

no threaded reply?

Maybe admin should be given the option whether to allow a threaded reply or not? Thanks!

3 Likes

Hope chat can be embed on another domain

3 Likes