Invite multiple people to a topic

(Barry van Oudtshoorn) #1

I often find myself wanting to invite multiple people to a topic – for example, to alert our support team and the relevant relationship manager to a post. As it stands, I have to invite each person individually, closing the modal each time. This was raised two or so years ago – and the advice was to use the API. That makes sense for lots of invites, but for just one or two, it’d be great to do this from the UI.

I do think it’s worthwhile imposing a limit here – maybe 5? – but the current limit of one is quite frustrating. The UI – admittedly not the text – suggests that multiple users would be supported, as it reuses the same user-selection control as for group membership.

In this case particular case you could invite a group.

(Dave McClure) #3

I’d like this… in the wild, we end up seeing people use the path of least resistance in place of this, which looks like a post that just says:

@userA @userB @userC @userD

(Jeff Atwood) #4

That is actually better, IMO, since it is visible to everyone.

(Barry van Oudtshoorn) #5

Sometimes – if they’re all part of a group. :wink: The difficulty here is that I’d have to create a whole slew of groups – one each for the cross product of individual SRMs (“School Relationship Manager”), support leads, and system leads – which rapidly becomes quite a lot of groups.

Hearing you. I’m curious though – aside from the peskiness of having to create all those groups in the first instance, what’s the downside of lots of groups?

(Barry van Oudtshoorn) #7

Mainly just the peskiness of creating and managing those groups. Although admittedly I could probably have already created all of them in the time I’ve spent on this topic! :laughing: I’d also have to come up with reasonable names – I suspect I’d end up with groups with names like “jane+fred+ramesh” and “jane+alistair+kate”.