iOS app just shows white screen

Will send by DM

Thanks again

1 Like

20 characters of yep

edit: can’t DM though

Ok bug has been identified and fixed. A new release has already been submitted to apple, will have to wait a few days to get it updated. I’m sorry for the 1% users who got hit by this. It was sadly a bug you could only face if you were not staff which sadly didn’t happen in last days of our testings where I introduced this specific feature.

16 Likes

Thanks for the prompt fix JJ

2 Likes

What if I’m not logged in in Safari already? Won’t I have to login twice?

Still no, in this case it will open safari, you will login in safari, authorize and then it will come back to the app.

Basically, think of this as “Safari is my logins source of truth”

Interesting. But you can’t carry that login over into an app, and you can’t do it in an embedded version of Safari instead?

It’s some new iOS flow which is not intended to work with SafariViewController (in app browser). There might be ways to make it better in the future though… I wanted to release the app to test that new topic listing behavior before going too far on this. Arguably this safari/in app issue, is either a non issue or only minor struggle first time you configure a site. It’s especially low hassle if you use a password manager.

1 Like

yeah, my concern is that the two main reasons I think most people would have the app is for notifications and to keep Safari clear from a bunch of tabs. I think defaulting to in-app would likely be better.

However, this is all still theoretical to me, because I still can’t get the new version of the app working, even after reinstalling. Perhaps I’m stuck in the 1%. lol

Yes as said we will need few days before apple accepts new update.

This is what I did in the new build awaiting apple approval

Yes probably, I also want to think this new topic listing will bring value, it does bring value to me as an app user, but I also don’t care about keeping my tabs clear, so… we will see.

1 Like

Would love a testflight invite if that’s still the preferred means of distribution.

Actually surprised to see that two previous Discourse apps sit in testflight expired, was there any reason not to re-use?

I changed name, and build auto expired, you simply didn’t get invited to recent ones which are on fabric, send me your email by pm I will invite you.

also testflight is slow and buggy hence why I prefer fabric.

4 Likes

I think there’s an option through the app submission flow to get a build reviewed and out faster when there’s a bug like this?

1 Like

There is, but speed of reviewing is not an issue anymore as it used to be. Review got finished yesterday, but we got rejected on something which hasn’t changed since version 1: the text of why we need camera access… So I have to “fix” it today, and request a new review.

5 Likes

Indicating to them that the release is to fix a bug impacting a lot of users isn’t a bad idea though, I have a lot of users in my 2 forums affected by this sadly.

2 Likes

Ok I made a new build, submitted it to apple and sent a new build to beta-testers who are much more than before, which is cool. Will try to ask Apple to speed up the process.

EDIT: made a formal request to speed up the review.

7 Likes

Unfortunately installing this removed all the sites in my Discourse app. I’ll put that down to the beta process.

The problem is when adding the sites I manage back gives me an error telling me they’re running an outdated version of Discourse. One of them is running the latest beta and the other is running a recent build.

Yes it might be due to beta process indeed.

Concerning update issue, I backported into stable yesterday evening, and just did backport into beta: https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commits/beta

So an update should fix the beta issue and recent build if it is on master or stable.

2 Likes

An update to what, sorry? The Discourse install I have complete control over is saying there are no updates available. But dropping support for all installs not running the absolute latest beta without a warning seems unnecessary and unfriendly to all users.

Yes that’s a mistake I’m sorry, and it was not my intention. But it happens iOS phased release works differently from what I thought and some people got this version when they shouldn’t.

I pushed commits to the beta branch so you can use them. If you don’t see the update yet, you should be able to see it soon.

2 Likes