iOS Mobile App Notifications

Sorry I need a break from this topic.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 13 days.

Iā€™m an admin of a new Discourse forum running on Digital Ocean. Allā€™s working well so far as we prep to open our doors in a month or so.

The Discourse IOS app is working but seemingly with some quirks. And we just noticed the phrase in the App store description:

ā€œfor officially hosted discourse forumsā€

What should I tell my users to expect with their use of the Apps, both Android and IOS?

Primarily the native notification issue, other than that it will work as expected.

6 Likes

@codinghorror Is there any way to pay for iOS push notification functionality witha self hosted forum?

1 Like

No, this is not possible. Youā€™d need to use a paid Discourse specific hosting plan, either here or elsewhere.

5 Likes

If itā€™s a DO discourse droplet?

That is ā€œself hostedā€ in this context.

1 Like

Hey @jtbayly I recently published a plugin for pushover that allows a user to sign up for push notifications over Pushover. Other push services could probably be added with not too much difficulty. Maybe this can help scratch your itch here.

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing that here. I had totally missed it.

1 Like

have you found a successful path to receiving notifications while self hosting? if so, will you save me the trial and error by sharing your experiential knowledge? p please.

1 Like

Yes, but it was unrelated to this thread. I simply downloaded a free app on my iPhone called Fig. On every other device, push notifications work out of the box. Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Actually - donā€™t worry. I found it ā€œFig for Discourseā€

1 Like

Hi all, sorry to bother. Just wanted to check the status of iOS push-notifications issue for self-hosted forums. Been a while since the last post here. Anything new or is it still not possible?
Thanks!

There have not been any changes recently to add more support for self-hosted push notifications to our iOS app. However, the app does have a background job that is supposed to run every half hour or so and it is supposed to pull in push notifications. This uses a background fetch service from the OS which is notoriously unreliable, so itā€™s possible that it doesnā€™t work all that well.

7 Likes

@pmusaraj Thanks a lot for the update!

@pmusaraj nothing new on this front?

1 Like

Sorry but self-hosted push notifications would mean you have to register an account with Apple. Discourse can not handle data of forums we do not host.

No news here.

1 Like

Thanks Sam. When you say register an act with apple, how would I do that as itā€™s not a dev act for an app but specifically a website using the discourse app. Is that possible??

You would have to

1. Fork Discourse Hub
  2. Register a dev account with apple
  3. Repackage as a standalone app for your site
  4. Publish to the app store
  5. Build infra to handle the push notifications

I am afraid there is no easy solution here, on Android - Google provide a public proxy. Apple do not do that.

1 Like