iPad with external keyboard connected can't see post when replying

(Stephen) #1

Whenever I select a text field in the new composer it hijacks the whole screen, preventing me from seeing the text I was responding to.

This also occurs with new topics.

Tested on iPad Pro 12.9” in landscape with external keyboard. Chrome and Safari.

iPad pro makes space for non-existent keyboard
(Sam Saffron) #2

This is by design, there is no way in JavaScript to detect if a hardware keyboard is connected or if a software keyboard is visible… because … Apple and Google don’t seem to think this is a problem that needs solving.

At least Google change the viewport size, Apple don’t even do that.

(Stephen) #3

I thought it was possible, albeit indirectly?

I don’t recall where it was implemented, but this post on SE has the gist of it.

If there’s really no workaround does that mean a new approach to composer for mobile? Something in-line? Even a toggle to anchor the UI would be better than the current arrangement, I have to split-screen two different browsers to see the post I was originally responding to, and if I’m signed into Discourse from both then I can see my draft in both sessions!

(Sam Saffron) #4

We already have hack mountain including a bunch of stuff that is not even documented on SE. The trouble with answers there is they are hacky and often break between iOS releases.

It is possible more hacks can get this to magically detect this, I am not sure. But we can not afford to compromise standard software keyboard behavior by issuing random scroll events to fish for this.

Get that this is frustrating, but Apple ought to give us a correct viewport height somehow. Recommend you raise that with apple, I already did, got no answer.

(Sam Saffron) #5

Maybe a keyboard shortcut on Apple for “un full screen” is doable… I don’t know if CTRL if works right on iPad keyboard.

(Stephen) #6

This seems like a pretty big one, over the weekend a CxO reverted to using email when they realised they couldn’t see the message they were responding too. A pretty sizeable blow to the success of that particular project.

(Sam Saffron) #7

Thing is, Keyboard + iPad is quite a rare use case for us. It is annoying for sure, but Apple are not making our lives easy here.

(Stephen) #8

I get that, but I’m pretty sure a while back it didn’t hijack the whole display.

I understand why it’s there when the on-screen keyboard is used. That said, with the on-screen keyboard not being able to see the post severely hampers the ability to compose a response.

(Sam Saffron) #9

Well, position fixed on iPad has been a ROCKY ROCKY road. So we needed more hacks.

For example, this is still broken.

https://hackernoon.com/how-to-fix-the-ios-11-input-element-in-fixed-modals-bug-aaf66c7ba3f8

(Sam Saffron) #10

Feel free to create an account here and mention something to Apple

https://bugs.webkit.org/show_bug.cgi?id=176205

In fact I encourage everyone reading this to do so.

iOS 11 makes Discourse buggy?