Is creating a second app.yml-like file enough for multisite?

I’m attempting to create a second instance of Discourse on my machine that would be served on a different domain via a reverse proxy.

Would it be OK if I just copied the current app.yml file to app2.yml file, changed what needs to be changed and then ran ./launcher build app2?

3 Likes

Yes. You can do that. But I would recommend spending a bit more time to move to separate web and data containers so that you have only a single instance of redis and Postgres running. But if you don’t care about wasting some ram and don’t need the benefit of reduced down time when your rebuild, your idea is fine.

This will use a bit more ram than a multisite setup but allows you to have different sets of plugins.

6 Likes

This sounds like something which would help me. I could reduce my costs by consolidating two hosts into one (slightly) bigger one.

If you are successful I’d much appreciate a description of your setup. I’m an experienced linux admin but not experienced in this area.

I hear you, but having read that several times in the past I’d be interested in something simpler. Both my forums are small and low traffic.

1 Like

In that case, yes, a second copy of samples/standalone.yml will do fine - but: make sure to update the /var/discourse/shared/[standalone]/ and other host-exposed resources to another name.

2 Likes