Multiple Standalone containers instead of multisite?

Hi,

to be honest i’m not so much into docker for now but i was wondering if it could probably be a good alternative to a multisite installation to have just multiple standalone containers next to each other on one VM. Name based hosting could be solved with an reverse proxying nginx and some stuff that is “global” in multisite installation (like the admin email-accounts, smtp settings and other stuff) could be easily separated here.

Is there anything that would make this a problem? Probably the multiple instanced of Redis or Postgresql (that’s where i’m lacking knowledge in relation to Docker).

Thanks for helping,
Frank

You can basically just follow this guide twice:

Thanks, riking, but you probably just got me wrong. I know about the reverse proxying and could get it to work without a problem i think (thanks anyway for posting that link).

My question was more about discourse itself in multiple instances. Is it suitable to have standalone-container. each with their own Redis and Postgresql instance or does this probably eat up too much resources or cause trouble? I’m relatively new to docker so i’m not sure how multiple instances of the same daemons get handled and if it’s a good idea.

You could go either way, really. If you do 2-web 1-data, you’ll have to set different database names. If you do 2-standalone you don’t really have to worry about anything, but it might be performing extra work. It’s your call.

Also, I would recommend a 2GB with swap minimum.

2 Likes

ok great, thanks. I’m currently on a 4GB VM with swap but resources aren’t the biggest problem here as the bare metal machine itself is mine and has some resources left. I’ll try around that way.

1 Like