Is it possible to adjust editing times per TL or Category?

Currently it seems there is only one universal option (which seems to be set to one day by default).

If there isn’t a way to change editing times can I suggest the following please:

• Allow an option to change editing time for TL3 users. (It’s less likely that TL3 users will abuse the system.)
  • Allow editing times for the first post in a thread to be adjusted by category. (We have categories for things like Dev Profiles, Libraries, Projects etc) Perhaps by TL level too (so if in Category A + TL 1 member, allow editing for 1 year, etc).
1 Like

One day is not the default, the default is 60 or 90 days as I recall.

On mine it says this as the default:

Edit: Ah sorry - I thought it was seconds lol, that’s 60 days.

Are edited posts always bumped in the Latest List? If so I can just expand that to 4 months as a stop gap solution…

Pretty sure edits to posts only bump if the edit is to the last post in a topic.

6 Likes

I thought it bumped them for all posts - not doing so could be an issue for spam on a large/busy forum…

Since 2013 the only way to bump is to reply or edit last post. Note that last post can be first post if post count = 1.

3 Likes

Is there any other way to keep track of edits Jeff? If it’s not already, I’m fairly sure this will be exploited by spammers soon - it’s one of the reasons why on other forum software I had the edit limit to 1 day.

Perhaps there can be a queue system for edits longer than a day old? Or edit-time-allowed based on Trust Level?

There has been a time limit on allowed edits since day 1 of the project, default 180 days, change your site setting to taste.

One setting just isn’t adequate for a busy modern forum tbh. What do you think of expanding the editing options? Perhaps something like:

• Allow an option to change editing time based on Trust Level. (It’s less likely that TL3 users will abuse the system.)
  • Allow editing times for the first post in a thread to be adjusted by category. We have categories for things like Dev Profiles, Libraries, Projects etc - these are all things where the first post would need to be edited over a much longer period of time.
  • Maybe combine the two too, so if in Category Dev Profiles AND TL 1 member, allow editing for 1 year, etc.

What is the use case? Describe the real world problem, with actual live examples, this would solve. I do not mean hypotheticals, I mean actual real world situations you have run into that would necessitate this.

Ok I’ve moved the thread that started this discussion to a publicly viewable section: https://elixirforum.com/t/can-you-increase-post-edit-time-limit/6080

With regards to real world problems we have several categories where the first post needs to be kept up-to-date, this includes:

Developer Profiles (example thread: Tom - Elixir developer - Dev Profiles - Elixir Forum)

Libraries (example thread: https://elixirforum.com/t/meeseeks-a-library-for-extracting-data-from-html-now-with-xpath-selectors/4315/4)

We also have sections for user’s Projects where I would also switch on extended editing for the first post, as well as a Learning Resources category which includes sub-sections that also act as an information resource that may need to be kept updated (we have a dedicated thread for each book, course, etc)

I don’t think it’s just this forum that would benefit from it, on a dog forum for example, we could have threads that act as a profile for user’s dogs, on a car forum, a thread for user’s cars etc. More generally, it could be useful for guides, how-to’s etc which need to be kept updated.

Traditionally, threads like these on forums become ‘stale’ - it would be great if we can avoid that with Discourse :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you “wikify” a post the edit time limit is not imposed on it.

2 Likes

Unfortunately that’s impractical for several use cases - such as people’s developer profiles, their libraries, projects etc that are all personal to them. (Plus it would add a burden to the mod team.)

1 Like

Has anyone found a solution for this one?

I have the same issue and would love to see such feature :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have started a thread and have multi user’s and a lot of the users can’t edit. Can this be changed so that we can continue our grow off contest?
By the way I am garrigan65 I to work for ILGM

Can you send an email to support with your specific requirements? We’d need more detail.