Is it possible to adjust editing times per TL or Category?

(AstonJ) #1

Currently it seems there is only one universal option (which seems to be set to one day by default).

If there isn’t a way to change editing times can I suggest the following please:

• Allow an option to change editing time for TL3 users. (It’s less likely that TL3 users will abuse the system.)
  • Allow editing times for the first post in a thread to be adjusted by category. (We have categories for things like Dev Profiles, Libraries, Projects etc) Perhaps by TL level too (so if in Category A + TL 1 member, allow editing for 1 year, etc).

(Jeff Atwood) #2

One day is not the default, the default is 60 or 90 days as I recall.

(AstonJ) #3

On mine it says this as the default:

Edit: Ah sorry - I thought it was seconds lol, that’s 60 days.

Are edited posts always bumped in the Latest List? If so I can just expand that to 4 months as a stop gap solution…

(Eli the Bearded) #4

Pretty sure edits to posts only bump if the edit is to the last post in a topic.

(AstonJ) #5

I thought it bumped them for all posts - not doing so could be an issue for spam on a large/busy forum…

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Since 2013 the only way to bump is to reply or edit last post. Note that last post can be first post if post count = 1.

(AstonJ) #7

Is there any other way to keep track of edits Jeff? If it’s not already, I’m fairly sure this will be exploited by spammers soon - it’s one of the reasons why on other forum software I had the edit limit to 1 day.

Perhaps there can be a queue system for edits longer than a day old? Or edit-time-allowed based on Trust Level?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

There has been a time limit on allowed edits since day 1 of the project, default 180 days, change your site setting to taste.

(AstonJ) #9

One setting just isn’t adequate for a busy modern forum tbh. What do you think of expanding the editing options? Perhaps something like:

• Allow an option to change editing time based on Trust Level. (It’s less likely that TL3 users will abuse the system.)
  • Allow editing times for the first post in a thread to be adjusted by category. We have categories for things like Dev Profiles, Libraries, Projects etc - these are all things where the first post would need to be edited over a much longer period of time.
  • Maybe combine the two too, so if in Category Dev Profiles AND TL 1 member, allow editing for 1 year, etc.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

What is the use case? Describe the real world problem, with actual live examples, this would solve. I do not mean hypotheticals, I mean actual real world situations you have run into that would necessitate this.

(AstonJ) #11

Ok I’ve moved the thread that started this discussion to a publicly viewable section: https://elixirforum.com/t/can-you-increase-post-edit-time-limit/6080

With regards to real world problems we have several categories where the first post needs to be kept up-to-date, this includes:

Developer Profiles (example thread: Tom - Elixir developer - Dev Profiles - Elixir Forum)

Libraries (example thread: Meeseeks - A library for extracting data from HTML and XML with CSS or XPath selectors - Libraries - Elixir Forum)

We also have sections for user’s Projects where I would also switch on extended editing for the first post, as well as a Learning Resources category which includes sub-sections that also act as an information resource that may need to be kept updated (we have a dedicated thread for each book, course, etc)

I don’t think it’s just this forum that would benefit from it, on a dog forum for example, we could have threads that act as a profile for user’s dogs, on a car forum, a thread for user’s cars etc. More generally, it could be useful for guides, how-to’s etc which need to be kept updated.

Traditionally, threads like these on forums become ‘stale’ - it would be great if we can avoid that with Discourse :slight_smile:

(Mittineague) #12

If you “wikify” a post the edit time limit is not imposed on it.

(AstonJ) #13

Unfortunately that’s impractical for several use cases - such as people’s developer profiles, their libraries, projects etc that are all personal to them. (Plus it would add a burden to the mod team.)

Has anyone found a solution for this one?

I have the same issue and would love to see such feature :slight_smile: