Trust Level 1 -- Basic : Edit own posts for 3 - 5 days after posting

Hi :slight_smile:

It’s quite common that I think of better wording for a question I asked recently. But, often, the 1st day has already passed.

Reading Understanding Discourse Trust Levels I understand that:

• Trust Level 0 -- New are able to edit their own posts for only 1 day after posting,
  • Trust Level 1 -- Basic are able to edit their own posts for only 1 day after posting,
  • Trust Level 2 -- Member are able to edit their own posts for up to 30 days after posting.

My opinion is that, for progressiveness, it would be good to set Trust Level 1 to be able to edit their own posts for 3 - 5 days after posting.

What do you think about that? :slight_smile:

Those as all settings that the admin can change. If it’s appropriate for your community to have longer you can change them. Search “post edit limit” in the admin settings.

I think the defaults are good enough for most communities.

I don’t think you can set different timeframes for tl0 and tl1 at the moment, because there is just one setting for both.

2 Likes

True enough! I looked quickly and didn’t notice that the request was for three settings when there are only two. It’s not very hard to get to tl1, though, so another setting wouldn’t affect many users.

1 Like

(I’m not an admin, only a user of multiple instances.)

Would you agree to set that here?
Should I ask for it in an other category?

What paffman meant is that there’s not currently a setting for that in core, and adding it wouldn’t positively affect that many users, since it is quite easy to move from TL0 to TL1.

That’s what I understood.

What I meant is that:

• For progressiveness, it would be better to set TL0 to 1 day and TL1 to 3 - 5 days, but if you prefer to set both to 3 - 5 days it doesn’t bother me. :slight_smile:
  • I would like you (one who is able) to set TL0 & TL1 to 3 - 5 days right here, on this server. (Do you agree? / Should I ask for it in an other category?)

That isn’t currently possible, it’d require a core Discourse update for that to occur.

(Also I can’t change settings here, I’m not admin, nor staff at all)

Might be me, but this feels like a very niche use case. Being active for a short while will typically bump one to TL2, so the state of being in TL1 and wanting to edit an over a day old post feels slim to me.

I’m afraid we’re happy with the default and this is not something that we are currently open to changing here on meta.

1 Like