Is it possible to disable private messaging for a specific user?

Any update on this feature? I see it’s slated for 1.9 and I know of atleast 1 forum where the Moderator has disabled all PM’s. Am I missing this setting or has it just not made it into Tests Passed yet?

This would be a valuable feature.

Already slotted for our next release, we should get to it.

6 Likes

Sam, can you build in an exception, or whitelist to get through.
So say other staff can still send that person messages.

Also, not a user selectable feature, it should be selectable by staff only

Staff will always be allowed to PM users regardless of what the user opts for.

8 Likes

I have the initial implementation up @

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/5226

However, I’m still quite uncertain what we should do about existing PMs with the user in it. Here is what I think should happen for the following scenarios when User A disables private messages:

PM between User A and User B

User B will not be able to create new replies in the PM

PM between User A and Non staff group

User B and members in Non staff group will not be able to create new replies in the PM

As long as a staff group or user is in the PM

No restrictions on new replies

When I was looking through the code path, I realized that the muted users features have this same problem as well. We only prevent muted users from creating new PMs to the target user but the muted user is still free to add replies to existing PMs.

While I discussed this @sam internally, I’m actually leaning towards adding a feature that allows a user to leave a PM instead. That will allow existing PMs to carry on as per normal without having to handle the above scenarios and add overhead to our PostCreator class.

3 Likes

Yes we need the “allow people to leave a PM” feature BADLY, definitely do that first.

3 Likes

Implemented in

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/5226/commits/5dc9d60c0e5673d3320ef513ca6d3286e4d196a7

I’ll wait till next monday to merge it in.

10 Likes

Was thinking about my implementation last night about leaving a PM, will have to handle a couple more cases as well so that we don’t end up with a PM without any users. Will handle the edge cases next week too.

7 Likes

This feature has been merged in

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/22ba70fb01899ad96c933c86a7a9a651c7abd66a

I placed the setting under “notifications”

5 Likes

Sorry for the confusion, but this doesn’t override the global site setting right? If I have disabled PM site wide the message button will still only appear to STAFF and won’t be impacted by this setting?

I would love to be able to turn PM on, but either default the optional setting in interface to OFF, or default it OFF for specific group(s).

Is that supported?

This will play nice with all your existing settings. Staff always get a free pass.

We are going to add a “default allow private messages” into the user pref section in site settings, just like all the other settings have. cc @tgxworld

Controlling by group is going to require a plugin for now.

4 Likes