Is it possible to mount a playable video game into a discourse forum?

Hello. Brand new user here.

I was wondering if it would be possible to mount a playable video game (with simple graphics of course) on a discourse forum and have the game access statistics and user character attributes?

Could someone tell me if this even remotely possible?

It’s probably possible, just as you can embed Google Maps or Sketchfab in Discourse. But I don’t see any reason why you’d need to play the game inside of a Discourse forum. You have the game access forum data and vice versa without coupling them together on the same page.

I’d recommend having dedicated pages for the playable games, and inserting Discourse into that as is appropriate.

1 Like

Thanks man! Appreciated…

Again, I’m brand new to this software. So would you just make a normal web browser game? Like some of the ones you see advertised on Facebook?

What exactly do I have it access?

Lets say I wanted it to be clear that there is a game linked to my specific Discourse forum. And in order to build a game profile, you have to use your forum login handle. Any idea how I would feed that data to the game engine?

You’d use this: Discourse API Documentation

2 Likes

Gotcha! This’ll be really cool if I can get it working! :smiley:

My main objective of creating the game (in addition to teaching myself how to code) is to help supplement the forum activity. I hope I can pull this off lol.

Thanks again!

1 Like

I’ve seen one of the emulated machine games hosted at archive.org embeded in a private Discourse. It worked, but it wasn’t a very good experience. Your success or failure will probably rest with how well the game is suited for embedding.

Thanks @elijah, after reading this, I think it makes a lot more sense to NOT embed it:

When I thought about it some more, all I really need to do is retrieve basic data from the forum and I think I’m good to go :smiley:

1 Like