Is there a faster way to develop plugin theme CSS / JS (e.g. livereload)?

Hey there,

I’m trying develop a custom theme/plugin which will add a few additional templates and some general styling to discourse.

In pursuit of this, it would be great to get some kind of livereload/auto-injected CSS action going on, as reloading the page and wating 2s to notice I have made a typo is slowly adding up to quite a significant chunk of time. :slight_smile:

It seems like the recommendation is to use autopec, but I’m a little confused as to how this is supposed to work.

I have discourse setup and running locally using vagrant. I’ve ssh’d into the box and can run the server, see the admin page etc.

Should I run autospec and then start the server? or vice-versa? Will this effectively work to live reload the CSS so that I don’t have to refresh the app? Or am I just completely off-base here?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

This already works, just click preview on the theme and it will update as you go.

1 Like

Thanks @sam I think I wasn’t clear in this case.

I’m not developing a theme in the CSS section of the admin panel.

Rather, I’m creating a plugin which contains raw scss files which “themes” the discourse instance and also some of the custom elements that I will be injecting into outlets.

So I have a css files being loaded by my plugin:

plugin.rb
register_asset "stylesheets/base-theme.scss"

I’d really like to get these live reloading (similar to guard-livereload,)

Developing in the admin isn’t really sustainable from my viewpoint as there are going to be several developers working on files and having version control / git commit flow process is a pretty high priority.

I think the live reloader should work as long as you launch puma

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/blob/master/lib/stylesheet/watcher.rb#L13

2 Likes

Ok. I think this my confusion.

So for example,

I start my server with bundle exec rails s -b 0.0.0.0 and then visit my local environment at http://127.0.0.1:4000/ (bound port through vagrant.)

If I then make any changes to the scss I don’t see any changes until I manually refresh the page (which takes a few seconds.)

If I understand correctly, puma should be running when I bundle exec rails and changes are being picked up but I just have to hit reload on the page… the styles are not injected into the app live…

Am I missing a step?

I have been previously been developing a standalone ember app so I have been hopelessly spoiled by ember server :wink:

1 Like

Try bundle exec puma, does it work?

I will test out plugin live reload on Monday I may have missed something

Certainly works for themes and discourse assets

Link me to the plugin repo you have, either here or via a pm so I have something to test :blush:

As an update to this @sam here’s what I’m seeing when I boot my server. I PM’d you details for the codebase I’m using.

vagrant@discourse:/vagrant$ bundle exec rails s -b 0.0.0.0
=> Booting Puma
=> Rails 4.2.8 application starting in development on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Run `rails server -h` for more startup options
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server
Staring CSS change watcher
Puma starting in single mode...
* Version 3.6.0 (ruby 2.3.1-p112), codename: Sleepy Sunday Serenity
* Min threads: 0, max threads: 16
* Environment: development
* Listening on tcp://0.0.0.0:3000D

I just confirmed that live-reload works fine with the plugin you linked me.

The issue is vagrant. Vagrant mounts stuff in a terrible way and breaks inotify/kqueue file change notification. This leaves you stuck with all file watching broken from what I can see.

I recommend you avoid vagrant and just do a local Discourse install.

For my test,

1. I checked out your plugin
  2. Ran bin/puma
  3. Edited header.scss and added `body { background-color: red !important; }
  4. The background turned red, no need to reload the page or anything.
4 Likes

Thanks Sam!

I followed the instructions for setting up discourse locally and now it’s working for me as well. :smiley:

This will make my life much easier so thank you very much for your time on this.

2 Likes

Hey @sam,

Should this work for JavaScript files too?, I’m trying it but I have to remove the cache every time I add/edit a file.

I added this line to see if sprockets pick up new changes and it works without removing the cache.

# config/environments/development.rb
config.assets.paths += %W(#{config.root}/plugins/<plugin-name>/assets/javascripts/**/*)

Should we add this by default in development? (for all plugins instead of a specific one), or there’s a better way?

1 Like

I am cleaning up my bookmarks, @eviltrout you do a lot of JS are you noticing any cache issues amending JS in plugins? Do we need to add an assets.path?

No, Javascript is more or less perfect for editing, plugins and all. The only time you have to clear tmp is when you add or remove one.

The reloading issues I have are always on the server side.

4 Likes