Is there a recommended way to get pgvector on RDS?

Is there a recommended way to get pgvector on RDS?

this page claims:

The pgvector extension is available on all database instances in Amazon RDS running PostgreSQL 15.2 and higher in all AWS Regions, including the AWS GovCloud (US) Regions.

But last I knew, there was some subtle problem with PG14. I think this site is running on RDS, though.

Presumably typical self-hosters won’t have this problem as the current database image has pgvector, but both of the places I wanted to try this are running other pg installs. :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

We fixed it! Meta has been running PG15 for 3 months or so. (brace for the self-hosted pg upgrade soon)

But while AWS doesn’t tell you upfront, you also have pgvector on PG 13.11 in there :wink:

pgvector is available in AWS RDS, Aurora, Azure, GCP and Digital Ocean hosted PostgreSQL services, so I think this won’t be a problem.

2 Likes

Cool. That’s good to know. Thanks. That’ll solve one problem. The other is a self-installed postgres image that does replication. Maybe I can figure out how to use the Discourse image and get replication working with it.

Thanks.

1 Like

pgvector is on the Ubuntu/Debian official PostgreSQL PPAs, so after having that enabled it’s a simple apt install pgvector away in any server / image you have access to.

2 Likes

Sigh. Strangely the postgres:13 docker image doesn’t solve the problem with apt as suggested. It seemed like the official pg image would be a safe way to go.

1 Like

Sorry that wasn’t really strict for copy and paste, the exact command would be

apt update && apt install postgresql-${PG_MAJOR}-pgvector
1 Like

:person_facepalming:

LOL. Thanks, my postgres and its replica are now updated and I installed it! Now for bug reports.

2 Likes

Now if memory serves me, that’s around the time you tend to deploy it to us standard install types.

Do you have a planned roll out schedule for PG15 in mind?

3 Likes

Yes, taking into account the last few times we should be introducing that upgrade in this or the next quarter indeed. Still, we have not started the self-hosting upgrade rollout yet.

5 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Sending requests to AI via Typeform?