Is there a way to have a free forum?

My friends and I are on a forum that have very tight rules, so we can never interact. We were hoping we could find a forum that free, where you can chat, is that possible?
@not-ethan, how does this work?

1 Like

If you are a content creator or maintainers of an open source project you can. https://free.discourse.group/

10 Likes

Just to add to what @not-ethan said above. Discourse is free as its open source anyone can spin up a discourse using the install guide. What isn’t free however, is computer time.

10 Likes

Thanks for sharing that, Ethan @not-ethan !!!

Jimmy @ssityeghd , If you can do the standard install process the server cost to run discourse can be about $15/month or less. For new members to sign up can also be completely free, but someone has to pay for the server cost is all.

8 Likes

Here are the requirements for open-source/creator sites:

4 Likes

So technically, there is no “free forum,” just lower prices?

1 Like

No, many forums are free for new members, but to run a forum takes electricity and network bandwidth to work. So if you can generate your own electricity and have your own internet company with servers, it won’t cost you anything more than that to launch a forum.

Traditionally a forum is a public square in a city where people are free to speak and have events within the bounds of laws of the city. Those don’t need electricity or internet service to work just a lot of bricks.

2 Likes

The software is free. You don’t have to pay for using Discourse.
But if you don’t have your own hardware, you have to pay for someone to use theirs.

You can also install Discourse on your own hardware e.g. Discourse on a Raspberry Pi | Blog

8 Likes

Indeed, you can run on a Pi. But also you can run on any home computer or laptop - if it has suitable specs and you can make it reachable from the Internet, that’s enough. And in a sense, it’s free - the electricity would be the main cost, if you use hardware you already own and an internet connection you already have.

(There are various ways to make your home machine reachable - Cloudflare have a free offering.)

Oh, there is an unavoidable cash cost, I think, which is that you need a domain.

2 Likes

So for a random person like me, it’s impossible for a free discourse?

1 Like

People have responded to your question but it seems you have a different definition of free.

1. Discourse is open source and free to use
  2. The infrastructure and connection needed to run it usually isn’t free, but there are custom self-hosted install configurations that can be done if you have a specific setup.
  3. what may be free to you, is almost never free for someone else - generally bandwidth has a cost somewhere…
8 Likes
  1. If something is free, you are not the customer; you are the product.
5 Likes

the way you phrased it seems dark, but yeah, I understand now!

3 Likes

I remember trying to run Discourse on Replit, and yeah it sucks.

If one is a cheapskate and wants to save money, you ain’t gonna get a good experience.
If you’re willing to spend money, then yeah, you’ll have a good time.

1 Like

This is a dark expression, not universally true but many “free” services cover expenses from advertising revenue, which may be where that expression comes from.

It is indeed possible to have a forum with net-zero cost or even generating revenue if there is enough traffic and integrated paid advertising, which is an option with discourse. Not sure what the minimum traffic thresholds are for that and ads can ruin a forum.

2 Likes

It’s also possible to fund a forum with member subscriptions or donations, perhaps through a funding drive.

2 Likes

Yes indeed, only $10 a month for ten people to pay for standard tier!

Or only ten cents a month for more people and/or less expensive server without team support.

In a thread linked earlier, I posted that my annual costs are

which is applicable if you have the expertise and time to self-host. (My costs might be a little higher now, due to inflation and forum growth.)

3 Likes

That is an amazing bargain for super-powerful international communications network, wow!

1 Like