Is there a way to turn off relative dates?

I’m trying to turn off the relative dates formatter, because posts look strange when they say things like “See you [:globe_with_meridians:Yesterday 6:00 PM]!”

I found the relative date duration setting, but even setting that at 5,000 or 10,000 days doesn’t seem to turn off the relative dates.

Does anyone know if there is a way to do it? If not, it isn’t a major problem, because people will figure it out — I’m just wondering if it’s possible and I’m misunderstanding the settings.

1 Like

Relative dates settings apply to timestamps in the UI not for our new in-post date.

2 Likes

Additionally, I would highly recommend undoing that change - doing that makes relative dates for things like posts and the topic list enabled for longer. Shorter would be 1 (0 is unwise, as this entire thread would just show “6 Apr”).

But again, the date-time widget isn’t checking that. Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow are special cases, and otherwise it will always use absolute dates.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’ve reverted it to the default (30) and will just leave it there. Users will figure it out.

3 Likes

You can also click / tap on, or hover your mouse over the date to get more info. Try it! 🡕

3 Likes

Thanks, I think users will figure it out. :slight_smile:

The members regularly use the dates for arranging a kind of gaming match across time zones. The wording appears a little strange for 24 hours, but it’s still readable.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.