Is there any way I can automatically censor email addresses on posts?

We don’t want users posting emails. Is there a way to achieve this?

Thanks!!

2 Likes

We do have a censoring mechanism, but it’s based on words.

Your best bet would be to write your own plugin :wink:

Also could you just make it a site rule not to do that? And have moderators remove it if it happens?

We haven’t had a problem here with people posting many email addresses.

It’d also be a problem when allowing anonymous emails into the a new topic … the sending email address is posted above the incoming message.

yeah, it is a Pets site, and people start posting their emails about free dogs or cats, which are usually fake. We delete them manually, but still would be good to have an automatic rule for emails.

If you can teach your community to flag these posts as spam when they see them, I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how easy it becomes :smile:

4 Likes

censored pattern = \d{3}-\d{4}|[\w+\-.]+@[a-z\d\-]+(\.[a-z\d\-]+)*\.[a-z]+

will censor xxx-yyyy phone numbers and email addresses.

5 Likes

Does the above pattern work for anyone else? I tried entering it and got a “Sorry, an error has occurred.” alert. Even with just \d{3}-\d{4} and regular expressions turned on, it doesn’t block 123-1234 in a post. Was there a change, or am I doing something wrong? Thanks!

Where do I enter that?

It moved.

Navigate to /Admin/logs/watched words

1 Like

I think you also need to enable the option regex for watched words in the settings.

3 Likes

Doesn´t aceept the expression, to long, error says maximum 50 signs. I tried to enter it in censuring

I’d like to express my support to anyone who could fix this “issue” too: previously the official RFC 5322 (426 characters) could be entered to hide any email address. Now it’s only 50 characaters max.

Maybe now there is another better way to obfuscate email addresses (especially to crawlers)?

I second the idea of increasing the character limit here. Regular expressions can easily get past 50 characters.

For the watch words, it would also be nice to have a description field so when there is a regular expression in there, it is easy to know what it should be doing.

I believe we recently increased the limit from 50 chars to 100 chars here, does anyone else recall?

1 Like

Looks like it’s 100 now. The prompt is now “new word”:

2 Likes

I don’t know if this has changed since January but this appears to only half work when the enable markdown linkify setting is enabled.

The regular expression works perfectly to censor the text but an email address is parsed and turned into a mailto link first, exposing the email address in the HTML.

E.g.

<a href="mailto:someone@example.com">■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■</a>
3 Likes

How to do that? I could not find anywhere for enabling regex – if I try to use them anyway it does not work.

The setting name is watched words regular expressions :slight_smile:

1 Like