Isn’t it kind of hard to figure out that there is a mail/messaging system?

We had a style difference early on but it was extreme, so we abandoned it. (I think the background color was changed; it’s been a long time.)

I think “bubble” is way too extreme. If anyone has ideas of minor styling things we could do to make PMs stand out more, post a screenshot.

I’m still in favor of a just-in-time education panel for your first non-discobot PM.

5 Likes

It would be useful to have more distinct styling in the email notifications too.

3 Likes

The ‘speech’ bubbles can be more subtle depending on styling. It’s the shape that helps signifies it a personal chat rather than a forum post. The colours are optional. It’s good to give users and administrators a range of options - the Discourse themes and components work well for that :+1:

Shading

Borders

3 Likes

Ah maybe. Let’s see what @Johani and @awesomerobot and @jordan-vidrine think?

4 Likes

If we had speech bubbles we’d need to alternate sides, because that’s generally the standard on other apps… seems doable.

We do a lot when it comes to image resizing and ensuring there’s no page shift, among other embedded content types… so there’s a lot of potential overhead for an entirely different topic style.

This is a bit of a tangent and doesn’t make PMs any more discoverable though!

4 Likes

The different sides would also help distinguish PMs I like that :+1:

Eh, I don’t view that (if we do bubbles, they must alternate sides) as a hard and fast rule, because it turns a light reskin into a giant layout problem. :confounded: Why not try a very “light” version of speech bubbles with everything on the same side?

6 Likes