Issues with Discourse.org homepage

(Kane York) #1

I don’t have the “Raleway” font, so it’s falling back to Arial, which makes a few things look weird. Can you pick a batter 2nd font?

What is Discourse? | Discourse - Civilized Discussion

• The first paragraph seems to be talking about forums but saying ‘forum software’. I don’t believe that software is a group of people.

To us, forum software is a group of people interested in a common topic who are willing to type paragraphs to each other on a web page.

• The text after this feels like it lacks a point that it’s supposed to be trying to make. I think it needs a rewrite (not that I’d be any help with that).

Right now when you install a brand new forum, what you get is a virtual tin shack in a wasteland. It’s up to you to build up civilization from scratch every single time. …

It’s like: “Most of them fail, making ghost towns. But with better software, we can make…uhhhh… better ghost towns?”. As the team themselves have said, the success of a forum largely depends on the community, and it’s a shame that people have been stuck with the old crappy forum software. Anyway, that part needs a rewrite.

What is Discourse? | Discourse - Civilized Discussion

I see that the FAQ was updated sometime recently, and it looks good. No suggestions or complaints from me at the moment.

(Kris) #2

That’s odd, it should be pulling the font down from Google… anyway I’m changing the font away from Raleway… there were some wonky Windows kerning issues, and it could be a bit more readable in general.

The Blog already has the new one, which is the thematically appropriate “Open Sans”.

Curious: Do you see Arial on the blog too?

(Kane York) #3

No, I don’t, I see what I’m guessing is “Open Sans”. Arial isn’t an explicit fallback, so that’d be impossible - I’m pretty sure my sans-serif is the Ubuntu font.

By the way, the blog looks nice!

(Jeff Atwood) #4

I believe this is fixed now.

(Kris) #5

Yes it should be! everything is open sans now. Should have updated this post ages ago!

(Régis Hanol) #6