Issues with filters on admin graphs

Category filter doesn’t work on “User visits” graph

Steps to reproduce:

1. Head to your admin dashboard, then click on “User visits” to bring up the graph.
  2. Change the category from the drop-down and click “Refresh report”.
  3. Note that none of the values have changed.

According to this graph, every single user was able to visit a category months before I created it. :slight_smile:

Expected behaviour: The graph should show statistics only from the selected category.

Date range doesn’t revert when cleared out

Steps to reproduce:

1. Head to your admin dashboard, then click on “User visits” to bring up the graph.
  2. Take note of the default date range.
  3. Change the date range and click “Refresh report”. (You can widen or narrow the range.)
  4. Delete out the dates in the range and click “Refresh report”. Note that you’re still seeing the date range from :three:, not from :two:.
  5. You can even refresh the page and the range won’t revert to default. :confused:

Expected behaviour: Clearing the date range out should revert to the default date range.

Date range gets confused when only field populated

2. Change the “until” date to some time in the distant past and click “Refresh report”.
  3. Note that the graph draws the axis and legend, but no details; there’s no error message.

Expected behaviour: Ideally, it shouldn’t be possible to run the report with only one date range; setting one should set the other if it is blank to some sensible default (a month/week in the past/future, as appropriate?) Alternatively, a message should be shown.

Inappropriate filters shown for some graphs.

I can filter by category for:

• New users
  • User profile views
  • Emails sent

On none of these does changing this filter actually do anything – nor should it, as it’s meaningless. :slight_smile: This filter shouldn’t be shown on those charts.

Aside: I collected all of these up into one topic as they seem to be closely related. Is it preferable to instead post each of these as a new topic?

6 Likes

@techAPJ can you add this to your list, it makes sense to add more polish here.

Do all the easy one’s on the list and report back.

5 Likes

Was fixed via:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/3d76fb9c2c400fb91d5f77247e9b776ea5c8912a

I am not sure if this classifies as bug. It feels odd to me to clear the date range field. Why not select the default date range (a month) instead of manually clearing the date field?

Many times I run the report with only “Start Date” set assuming that the end date will automatically be considered as today’s date, but I can understand that it will be more clear/explicit for end user if we automatically fill “End Date” with today’s date. Same applies for start date.

Added on my list. :pencil:

EDIT: I just realized that this bug report is over 8 months old and I edited my response accordingly.

4 Likes

Just pushed a fix for this:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/decb43274019ec4a9f1f4a633e7416f13b7fabff

Now the start/end date input on report page will be pre-filled with default date range (a month).

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 19 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.