Javascript inserted into Footer from Discourse UI not working

(Steven Slade) #1

Continuing the discussion from How do I insert javascript into the footer?:

In Footer of the Discourse UI I am trying to get javascript to run but it does not and there are no errors. It’s as if it just isn’t present.

<script>
console.log("anything");
</script>

This is in Footer, nothing console.logs. It is Enabled, too.

(Dean Taylor) #2

Looks like a bug…

I just tried it with both JavaScript and normal content and neither appeared:

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Hmm can we repro this @techapj?

(Arpit Jalan) #4

Looking at the code by which footer is inserted, I believe it’s not possible to insert JavaScript via Footer and Top.

The only sections which supports injecting JavaScript are Header, </head> and </body>.

I am not able to repro this, normal content appears fine in Footer. Also here is one of our hosted instance which has custom Footer:

http://forums.mtbakervapor.com/t/welcome-to-mt-baker-vapors-discourse/6

Looks just fine.

(Steven Slade) #5

How is one to include a JS script that is run after the page has loaded (and keep in mind it can’t be done with a document ready. It needs to be in the footer.

(Ilias) #6

Hello.

Is there any update on this issue?

I am also trying to include javascript code in top/footer but it is not working.
What I want to do, is insert (for example) google adsense or AdTech tags in Top/Footer, but it seems that the script is not executed.
In Header (Customize -> CSS/HTML -> Header), however, the script is working as expected.

Can you please fix it?

Thanks,
Ilias

(Sam Saffron) #7

Nothing is broken here, have a look at examples of supported ways of adding scripts, for example:

(Ilias) #8

If I add the same script to Header (Admin / Customize / CSS/HTML / Header) and Footer (Admin / Customize / CSS/HTML / Footer), it is working only in Header, that’s what I’m saying.

You can try this out yourself. I just did the test with default Google Adsense tags, but you can test it with any simple script, for example:

<script>
    alert("script executed");
</script>

In “Footer” this will not popup the dialog, whereas in “Header” this will work.

Thank you,
Ilias

(Sam Saffron) #9

Footer is not designed to allow for script tags, it is just for visual changes.

The lifecycle of our application is very different to what a traditional webpage is. There are hooks in Ember you need to use if you need code to run

• On initialization
  • On page transition
  • When a route is entered
  • When a component is rendered

and so on.

The to make XYZ work put the following “snippet” in your HTML footer concept make no sense for a single page application.

(Ilias) #10

Got it, thanks.
I will look for any howto on implementing these hooks. If there is any tutorial about it here in meta, please advise.

(Ed Arcos) #11

This is happening to me today. When I insert a Javascript on the </body> section, I just cannot save.

v1.8.0.beta5 +211