Knowledge Explorer Plugin

Minor bug. If you do not have access to any knowledge explorer enabled categories, you get an empty interface, Better to show a 404, methinks, or some sort of “nothing to see here, move along” type message. Link should also not appear on the hamburger menu.

4 Likes

Added a minor message in UX: Add message when no topics found in KE view · discourse/discourse-knowledge-explorer@18c45a7 · GitHub

The route 404 would be an interesting change. I’ll have to think on that as an option and how to implement it. The primary use case we had in mind for this plugin was for teams who need access to a way to filter knowledge base topics and make them easier to surface.

6 Likes

I installed this on my work community and it’s fun to use - looking really good!

The minor message is fine - I was able to change it to “You do not have access to the knowledge base” on my work community and “Sorry - you don’t have access to the wiki” on my personal community. I think these work better for my purpose.

1 Like

And that’s the beauty of translations :smiley:

3 Likes

I’ve been goofing around with the knowledge explorer on my personal forum and am really enjoying it. Thanks for providing this fab functionality!

Here are some requests/suggestions/observations for when you have time to look at this again.

• checklist plugin integration not quite working. You can see the status of checked items but you cannot select to toggle the checklist status.
  • toggling between alphabetical vs activity sort order would be very helpful. In the UI, selecting the “topic” and “activity” headings would be a lovely way to change sort order.
  • tag groups support on the filter menu on left side would be loverly. Right now the tags are all in order of number of appearances. I have tag groups for location, year, people etc and it would be hella useful to be able to see these grouped instead of intermingled.
6 Likes

Note … knowledge explorer is now enabled on meta on #howto and #howto sub categories , head to the following location to check it out:

https://meta.discourse.org/knowledge-explorer

Checklist plugin integration is tricky, we will try to get to it.

Agree sort by “title” of topic would make sense we can make “topic” clickable for that.

Tag group integration does sound interesting, albeit very tricky. Would have to be an option that is default off. It is only really useful if you use tag groups extensively.

9 Likes

:hugs:

4 Likes

Sweet! Confirmed working. One small oddity is that Album 1: slides is displayed after Album 10: slides when sorting alphabetically. Probably not much to be done about it but this is a huge improvement already. Thanks!

Yes, but I noticed the same text is used when search results turn up nothing. I will adjust the text accordingly.

That might be a bug. Let me take a look.

Edit: Yep it was. FIX: Show correct text when no search results found · discourse/discourse-knowledge-explorer@ed709f8 · GitHub should fix it.

5 Likes

This is a very useful plugin. Kudos for developing it.

Just a question.

Any reason why category is identified by category id in the url instead of the category slug (like tags) ?

1 Like

I agree it would be more user friendly to use category slug instead of category id, guess so people can form urls manually or is there another reason?

The pavilion knowledge base plugin had a nice category based url structure that I liked and that I think would be handy here too. It includes an admin setting for the base url. It was possible to direct people easily to a specific kB category. But then it does not support tags at all.

Dear @justindirose,

thank you so much for conceiving this fine plugin.

We just enabled it in form of the Hiveeyes Knowledge Explorer and found it promptly scales much better than the previous Hiveeyes Knowledge Base provided by the Knowledge Base Plugin. Also, we found it way easier to configure by having a central place where to adjust the categories than having to go to each category and finding and enabling the plugin on the category settings screen.

Now we are facing a problem and would like to share it with you. So, we are having this category FAQ zu BOB - Hiveeyes we just made available on the Knowledge Explorer, see »FAQ zu BOB« in Knowledge Explorer.

However, while the topic WLAN-Verbindung schlägt fehl - FAQ zu BOB - Hiveeyes is displayed within the Knowledge Explorer content area of this category, Firmware kann nicht aufgespielt werden - FAQ zu BOB - Hiveeyes as well as some others are not.

On the other hand, the Knowledge Base Plugin renders all of the six topics within the respective category, see Hiveeyes Knowledge Base.

So, we are humbly asking if you might have any idea why this might happen to us? Thanks already for taking the time to look into this!

With kind regards,
Andreas.

As an anonymous user, I am seeing the “Firmware kann nicht aufgespielt werden” topic among others. Is there a chance you may have muted the other topics?

1 Like

Dear @tshenry,

thanks for your quick reply.

So true. Thank you so much and sorry that I’ve missed to check this first.

Again, you are right. I have no idea how that might have happened. I just unmuted all things I’ve designated as FAQ’ed and everything I was missing just reappeared.

I am happy that everything seems to work as intended for me now. Thank you very much for your excellent help on our observations and sorry for the noise.

With kind regards,
Andreas.

3 Likes

I believe this happened to me because the feature Suppress category from latest has been taken away, so all these categories probably converged into the muted state automatically. See also Suppress category from latest topics gone.

1 Like

Dear @justindirose and all other Knowledge Explorer lovers,

Thank you so much

We have been very pleased to integrate this plugin into our instance of Discourse [1] and also made some canonical entrypoints on a dedicated subdomain which redirect specific resources to Knowledge Explorer [2]. This is excellent, thanks for contributing this to Discourse, @justindirose!

While ramping this up, we had two kinds of observations we would like to share with you.

Resolving link titles

When inlining links to categories and topics, Discourse will resolve the link titles conveniently like

However, when using inline links pointing to the Knowledge Explorer, it just resolves all link titles to the site’s name. This happens for both links to categories and topics.

Compatibility with DiscoTOC

When used together with DiscoTOC - automatic table of contents, direct navigation to in-page anchors from url hashes does not work. I.e., while url hashes can be used to navigate to

Do you see any way to improve resolving the title of the inline link target and make the url hash propagate through the page router into DiscoTOC?

Thanks already for taking the time!

With kind regards,
Andreas.

[1] https://community.hiveeyes.org/
[2] https://bee-observer.hiveeyes.org/

4 Likes

Thanks all for the input on the plugin! Just FYI I’m out on leave as my family had a new addition recently so it’ll be a while before I personally can look at any of these items.

10 Likes

Thanks for listening!

Sure. Congratulations to you and your family!

5 Likes

Hi there,

Amazing Plugin. Thanks for your contribution!

Anyone could help me with this little problem?  Much appreciate!
  My Expolorer doesn't show any contents.Am I missing some settings? 

Best Regards,
Lanco

Did you select categories and tags in your site settings for the plugin?

3 Likes