'Last IP address' being prefixed by '::ffff:'

This appears to have started recently - if you go to a user’s profile > admin - their last IP address is shown as prefixed with ::ffff: (and so when you do an ip lookup it does not work).

1 Like

No repro here on meta.

Could this be related:

I did add a record to allow IPv6 recently, so could that be it? Do you have IPv6 enabled here?

1 Like

This (meta) is running on AWS as a dogfooding experiment, so it is possible it is not, because as I understand it AWS doesn’t use ipv6 at all… but we’d need to ask @mpalmer

Meta is now fully IPv6 compatible.

2 Likes

Nice! Were you getting the ::ffff: problem too?

It looks just fine for me:

I bet a beer you use a reverse proxy and not vanilla Discourse with only the internal nginx :beers:

6 Likes

Sorry only just coming back to this. Yes I use HAProxy on the front :slight_smile:

Do I need to do anything special on the Discourse side to enable IPV6?

On the HAProxy side I believe I have changed everything I need to, specifically:

bind *:80
to
bind :::80 v4v6

and

bind *:443 ssl crt /etc/haproxy/certs/
to
bind :::443 v4v6 ssl crt /etc/haproxy/certs/

On http://ready.chair6.net everything passes except for:

IPv6 Connectivity - FAIL - Could not connect (to site) on port 443 over IPv6.

Any idea what I might be missing?

1 Like

Try instead using two lines as follows:

bind :::80 

bind :::443 ssl crt /etc/haproxy/certs/
3 Likes

Hi Michael, updated to:

#bind *:80
  #bind :::80 v4v6
  #bind *:443 ssl crt /etc/haproxy/certs/
  #bind :::443 v4v6 ssl crt /etc/haproxy/certs/
  bind :::80 
  bind :::443 ssl crt /etc/haproxy/certs/

But I’m still getting the same thing. Here’s the full report in case it helps.

1 Like

fe80::6e62:6dff:fe46:abf9 is a link-local address, only intended to be used by a machine on the same broadcast domain as the server. Nothing else on the Internet will ever be able to connect to it.

Does the server have a “real” IPv6 address (such as something starting with a 2)?

3 Likes

Awesome - fixed! (I needed to change my server from IPv6 discovery to Static configuration and add the range manually.)

Thanks for your help :heart:

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.