Launcher script not updated

I installed discouse on digitalocean via the beginner docker method. I installed updates via the admin/docker url and today updated docker manually to 0.11.1 - I had a problem that the launcher script was not updated and still at the version before this commit here - Better logic to determine required Docker version · discourse/discourse_docker@6066840 · GitHub - that didn’t detect 0.11 as a valid version.

Is it a bug that the launcher script wasn’t updated? Or was there something else I should have been doing to update it? I’m sure I had done updates on the admin/docker page more recently than this commit - I actually first installed docker/discourse on May 2nd.

Launcher script has to be updated this way, from the command line:

cd /var/docker
git pull

The web-based updater is a different thing, and you update that via the discourse.example.com/admin/docker interface. The updater actually forces you to update it first, if it is out of date.

1 Like

I’m fairly certain it was out of date and the updater didn’t force me to run ‘git pull’.

Can the launcher detect if it is out of date and nag people about the git pull @sam?

yes, but I need to figure out how to do it async, don’t want to block it there.

This thread is related - https://meta.discourse.org/t/keeping-discourse-docker-updated-need-to-manually-git-pull/15290

I had edited the launcher script so I had to delete it before ‘git pull’ worked. And I then ran destroy/bootstrap/start and all is well again.

If there is an update to the launcher script or another reason to run ‘git pull’ before updating the docker_manager let me know and I will test if the Docker Manager prompts me to run ‘git pull’ before updating. (edit - or should running ‘git pull’ before updating docker_manager be part of the documentation?)

I want to fix this but I do consider this a feature not bug, its rather tricky to get it to work smoothly.