Link to external site remains in forum context somehow

A couple of days ago we upgraded to Discourse 3.2 and since then some of our members started experiencing a weird bug and I’m lost at what might be causing this.

Sometimes when they leave the forum to our main website and are browsing through it, clicking on links on our main website suddenly sends them to a forum error page saying the (forum) page doesn’t exist. The links they are clicking absolutely do not point to the forum, and yet, they are landing back on the forum.

And, oddly, the reports include screenshots where people are clearing seeing our main website but the URL in the browser is still showing them in the forum (sub)domain – as if they were browsing our main website through an iframe of sorts within the forum.

If relevant, we use the Custom Header Links (icons) component to add a direct link to our main website which is how people are reaching our main website.

Screenshot 2024-07-05 at 12.02.46

As far as I can see, this generates a regular <a href> link. The link opens in the current tab.

Discourse runs at a subdomain.example.com and main website is at www.example.com. They run in distinct IP addresses/servers.

I have been unable to reproduce this myself, but this is happening to multiple people (and multiple times) since we upgraded a couple of days ago. It does not always happen, but I have not found a common pattern.

Any idea what I should be looking into here? Importantly, how can one be browsing a different website while the URL still showing them as if they are still browsing the forum? :exploding_head:

1 Like

Does this affect all or only certain browsers?

Will confirm, but all reports so far seem to be on mobile, with references to iPhone or iPad (Safari, and “Chrome”).

Have you read this?

1 Like

Although not a CSS issue in this case, it does seem related in that two subdomains (the forum and the main www one) seems to be experiencing weird mixed content. Will follow up there - this can be closed.

1 Like