Pretty cool! Thanks for your good work on this. I tested it out on the sandbox and it works well - I like the way you can start typing in your location and it autocompletes. Slick!
Some immediate thoughts:
- some sort of nudge to complete the location field would be nice, to backfill existing users - not sure how to handle it. maybe a popup when users log in?
- maybe also a rake command to backfill using what users put in their location field? on our site, we use SSO to fill this with country data, which could be used to place members on a map.
- it would be more fun to explore the map if clicking on the user opened the user card instead of clicking through to the user profile.
- it’s not immediately clear that you can just type in a location in the “Map Location” field on the prefs and what the field is for. Some helper text would help, e.g. “type in your city, zip/postal code or country and you will be included on the user map!”
- maybe this is obvious, but consider showing mouseover helper text when the number of members in a region is shown in a green circle, e.g. “there are 2 users in this region. select to zoom in to show them”