Locations Plugin

Thank you so much! :heart: It works great now! :slightly_smiling_face: I checked everywhere the map (topic, user card, category etc) looks good. Thanks again @merefield! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Pleasure … now back to moving :house: :slight_smile:

FYI This will probably break the Layouts map widget, but at least Locations is useable now.

I’ll leave it up to @angus to resolve that issue or I will follow up after house move :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Confirmed all ok here now too!

Thanks Robert @merefield :smiley:

5 Likes

Thanks @merefield, mea culpa. Sorry guys.

@ckshen I’ve pushed a new update to the locations plugin which will support layouts 0.2 without breaking the non-layouts version. I’ve also addressed the map render issue you’ve described above.

If anyone has any issues with either plugin (or any other plugin) in the next week please ping me, and I’ll respond promptly. Rob is busy moving.

5 Likes

Thanks, Angus! I will update the plugins!

2 Likes

With 2.7.0.beta1 and discourse-locations e18de2a we seem to have lost the ability to add a location in the user’s profile.

Typing in the location field does not trigger a lookup.

Log
Message (2 copies reported)

MaxMindDB (/var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-ASN.mmdb) could not be found: No such file or directory @ rb_sysopen - /var/www/discourse/vendor/data/GeoLite2-ASN.mmdb

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:81:in `rescue in mmdb_load'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:77:in `mmdb_load'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:15:in `open_db'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:10:in `initialize'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.7.0/singleton.rb:125:in `new'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.7.0/singleton.rb:125:in `block in instance'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.7.0/singleton.rb:123:in `synchronize'
/usr/local/lib/ruby/2.7.0/singleton.rb:123:in `instance'
/var/www/discourse/lib/discourse_ip_info.rb:149:in `get'
/var/www/discourse/app/serializers/concerns/user_auth_tokens_mixin.rb:22:in `location'

Changing the location geocoding provider to any of the available choices results in an error:

4 Likes

Confirmed, same issue here too.

The maps still load ok but new members can’t add a location to their profile at all.

4 Likes

@angus @merefield would it help you guys if we reported bugs directly on the github repo?

3 Likes

Hey @Richie, thanks as always, but the best place is still Bug Report.

@merefield will follow up soon.

We’re all just coming back online after Christmas / New Years so give him a bit of time to get back up to speed.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report.

Unfortunately I’m snowed with work atm, but will look when I can.

2 Likes

Could anyone point me in the direction of there the lat/lng values are stored in the database for user locations please? :thinking:

2 Likes

For each user you can do something along the lines of:

myUser = User.find_by(username_lower: '<username>')

then

userLocation = JSON.parse(myUser.custom_fields[:geo_location])

then

userLatitude = userLocation.['lat']

on the rails console … etc.

2 Likes

Thanks Robert @merefield :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Guys, would it be possible to change some parameters in the background?

Since moving to mapbox tiles outdoors-v11 the text on the map itself is absolutely tiny:

There are some parameters to change this:

Namely just:

tileSize: 512, zoomOffset: -1

Which would then make the map readable:

Are these parameter changes something you might be able to add in to a future update?

2 Likes

thanks for the suggestion @Richie

Be sure to raise a Feature Request with this info: Feature Request

1 Like

Well this is strange :thinking:

The ability to change a Topic’s location (once set) got removed, apparently by accident (front end code only, backend was still there!), 4 or so years ago (boy, time flies!). What is perhaps more strange is no-one complained about this feature being missing. :zipper_mouth_face:

Good to know people are sure of their Topic Locations at the submission stage!

Here it is back again:

https://github.com/paviliondev/discourse-locations/commit/e53770d2dad3c6dd962840733a3c57331c556304

To update a Topics location, simply hit the pencil icon by the title and hit the location to bring up the form.

3 Likes

Hi @merefield ,

thanks a lot for this great plugin and the constant support!

I’m using the plugin with Nominatim as geocoder and get location results in the format <housenumber>, <street>, <neighbourhood>, <suburb>, <city>, <postalcode>, <country>. If I understand correctly, than I can manipulate the output via the setting location user profile format, but I don’t understand how to use it.

My goal is to display the addresses in german standard format as {*street_name*}, {postalcode} {*place*} (or written as <street> <housenumber>, <postalcode> <city> using the variables above).

Can you please guide me how to achieve this (if possible)? Thank you in advance!

1 Like

I think there is an incompatibility when using the User Card Directory Theme together with the location user profile map setting enabled. At least for me the toggled mini map isn’t in foreground in the user directory and overlaid by the card below:
User-Cards_Location

1 Like

785 and still going strong :smiley:

This :point_up:t2:

2 Likes

Yeah not compatible. Follow plugin doesn’t work with this TC either. Don’t mix them. It’s a fundamental issue and will likely never be resolved.

This is because the Plugins use a plugin outlet on the user card and in that TC it is rather oddly repeating the outlet several times over which I believe is totally confusing Ember. So actually I believe the issue is with the TC not the plugins as it is breaking the outlets.

2 Likes