Locations Plugin

Hey @merefield thanks for this plugin! :pray:

Is it possible to use the User Location to automatically place them in groups. Ex. User is located in Germany and automatically added to the Germany-Group.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Not currently automated. However, you might be able to come up with some inventive algorithm in the Rails console to achieve that on an ad hoc basis. For a start on that see Locations Plugin - #684 by merefield. You’d have to consider the fact that locations entry is also voluntary.

You might also consider the custom wizard plugin together with the national flags plugin to capture users’ countries. (This would help with the voluntary part)

1 Like

Hi Robert,

Again me :confused: There is another issue with /u page user search. When typing a user name in this field. Nothing happening.
Screenshot 2021-07-02 at 22.56.48

No error in /logs.
In console :arrow_down:

Not sure but maybe cause it this commit.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for the report.

Given this is a non-critical issue I will probably look at this later in the month.

Please take note of the supported period for upgrades. Appreciate this was reported within that period. We do our best to deal with critical breaking changes that come up during that time.

2 Likes

I’ve had a spare moment, so took a look. Hopefully it’s now fixed, thanks for your patience: COMPATIBILITY: a fix for users page to take account of recent core ch… · paviliondev/discourse-locations@e0f47d5 · GitHub

3 Likes

Thanks Robert! Works fantastic! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Continuing the issue raised by @James_Higginson here and in accepting this as the use case as indicated by @Robert in this post has anyone any suggestion as to how to avoid this scenario which seems only to encourage community members to question whether there is a fault in the underlying software?

As can be seen in the above graphic, this user has entered a location but it is not displayed in the user field and the only clue (may be not an obvious one to a casual or inexperienced observer) is the inclusion of the info icon and the words “Your location will be displayed publicly” underneath a blank field, suggesting an error or incomplete capture and that the info icon and text is not actually associated with the correct completion of the field.

These images are from the Adminstration settings pages for reference:

3 Likes

Hey Graham (btw, I’m not @ Robert), I had a look at this for you and I think the problem lies in the timeout setting. Experiment by raising it.

See further at: Empty results caused by timeouts! - Locations - Pavilion

cc: @James_Higginson

1 Like

@merefield Oups! Apologies, my bad :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the info which I’m sure @James_Higginson will now take up.
G

4 Likes

Thanks guys, will try this now!

3 Likes

Over a thousand of our members have added themselves to the map now and it’s still loading pretty quickly :+1:t2:

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 20.24.37

Thanks again for the continued maintenance of this plugin @angus @merefield :smiley:

6 Likes

Can confirm. :wink:

6 Likes

Pretty amazing community engagement guys too!

7 Likes

What would cause a user to be shown on his user card map:

but not on the full user map:

1 Like

@Richie , how many users do you show on your map? Mine seems to be stuck at 1093.

Perhaps this is some kind of limit for the plugin?

2 Likes

Hi @omarfilip we are currently showing 1205 on our map:

2 Likes

It seems to have been a self-inflicted wound. I had location users map limit set to 1100. I’m not sure where the 7 (1100-1093) went though.

With the setting increased, the map is again working normally at 1297 mapped users:

1297 users on map

2 Likes

I wanted to report a really minor (and rare) UX issue.

One user in a forum I co-manage had a really long location. It can happen in some areas in France.

To protect the users infos, I edited the location to show the issue

I fixed locally with some css, but in case someone else is interested, here is the source of the issue

.location-selector-container .ac-wrap {
    box-sizing: border-box;
    height: 34px;
}

I’ve made this fix, that should be fine

.location-selector-container .ac-wrap {
    min-height: 34px;
    height: auto;
}
4 Likes

Hi Robert,

Yesterday I tried to update our site to Ember CLI and I noticed an error with Locations Plugin. If I create a topic it will throw this error in console and the topic is not load, only the title section. It was just a test to check everything will work so after I checked it I went back from Ember CLI now. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Ah thanks, that’s an easy fix.

Sorry, been busy with TLP and other projects last few days. I’ll try to get to that fix today, though it may not be the only issue! I’ve not checked this on Ember-CLI yet.

2 Likes