Locations Plugin

Can I add to that issue list @merefield ?

After updating today, the map is now showing pins for user locations, but we’ve gone from 400+ pins to just 37 :scream:

3 Likes

Some users are missing their location from their user card now too:

Yet they are visible on the map:

2 Likes

Yep. Due to the significant change in core we may have introduced a paging limit with the current workaround. Hence the lower number. We’ll look at this but turnaround may not be immnediate.

2 Likes

Ok, I think we’ll disable the plugin for now - thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Actually I think I may have found the issue on numbers!

Can you please update and retry the user map when you get chance and report back?

4 Likes

Updated and confirmed fixed :clap:

Will the same thing be causing the user card issue too?

Great stuff, thanks again @merefield :+1:t2:

4 Likes

The other issue you’ve identified, the missing location, may be a Discourse bug.

It seems that if you don’t enter a website, a vanilla Discourse locale, or a timezone, it will hide the plugin outlet we use!

Workaround is to ask users to enter their timezone!

I’ll raise a bug Topic.

4 Likes

Great, thank you.

By the way, we LOVE the avatars on the pins :+1:t2: :clap:t2:

4 Likes

@Richie This User Card issue should be fixed. Apologies, will require another update. No rush.

Also fixed the default navigation to User Map.

Back to square one now I hope :D.

2 Likes

Fixed, fixed and indeed, fixed :clap:t2:

Great work @merefield we are indeed at 100% :smiley:

Our group has decided that as the locations map plays such an important part of our community we’ve decided to now only update Discourse in line with support from this plugin.

Bar critical security patches, obviously :slight_smile:

Is there somewhere we can sign up for alerts or email notifications or similar? So we know when best to update everything?

5 Likes

Or shall we just assume that by the 5th of each month we’re good to go?

3 Likes

Just try to follow the current routine of updating during the first 5 days of every month and follow guidance on this Topic at that time. Thanks for your feedback today!

4 Likes

Will do, thanks once again!

2 Likes

Has anyone else noticed a significant time delay on this one?

When we click the users link in the site menu, the user list loads first, then a second or two later it “redirects” to the map? :thinking:

I’m sure it probably did this before but it was so quick it was never seen before.

2 Likes

Discourse changed their User List data retrieval, so we were forced to change the way we approached this. You may have to live with the new performance level for the time being. I’d be interested to hear of other accounts though.

3 Likes

I just upgraded today and things look good.

Please upgrade before Monday if you intend to do so this month as I will not be supporting breaking changes until next month.

4 Likes

We’ll sit tight until next month, thanks again :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too…

@JimPas (or anyone else for that matter!) are you having a problem with the delay before the map loads?

1 Like

@merefield out of interest, is there a way to link directly to the users map? Without needing to go through the users list first? (as that’s the bottleneck by the looks of things).

We run a plugin that gives us custom menu links so we could simply add a new link directly to the map if it was available on a direct /url somehow? :thinking:

1 Like

You could add a direct link in the Hamburger menu using Custom hamburger menu links, the link is:

/u/user-map?period=location

However, please note that the user directory takes a very short time to load as it’s only loading one page. Even if it visits that route first and then transfers, you will find the majority of the time is spent loading the large number of users in one go for the map, as it’s much much harder to ‘page’ for a map view.

3 Likes