"Macro category"

Hi!
Is it actually possible with Discourse sorting the categories themselves in a Macro-category?

example:

TECH (macro)

• Category 1
    • sub-category of category 1
  • Category 2
  • Category 3

GAMES (macro)

• Category 1
  • Category 2
  • Category 3

I mean, the “macro” should not be a category… but a “visual” way to organize the “Categories” tab

So just CSS then? I strongly recommend avoiding over-categorizing things, as you will overwhelm and confuse your audience.

5 Likes

I mean this, as shown in the attachment

1 Like

No, that’s not possible, and if it were it would be pretty jarring to see things presented as a three-tier hierarchy with only two tiers appearing when browsing categories and topics.

1 Like

Mh :thinking:
I didn’t think about that

1 Like

It appears you’re looking for something more like “visually appealing” presentation of this?

Category (with a “pretty” visual banner)

• Subcategory 1
    • topic
    • topic
  • Subcategory 2
    • topic
    • topic

In others words, you’re looking for a visually appealing tree structure instead of the manner it’s currently presented as?

1 Like

A structure that allows me to divide categories by “area”

No matter how you phrase it, you’re looking for a three-tiered hierarchy, whilst only presenting the categories in two tiers everywhere else.

1 Like

Why try doing something very twenty-zero’s like with a 2020 software? We are past the phpBB era… :grinning:

Instead of this, perhaps the possibility for the administrator to “sort” the position of the categories even after their creation?

1 Like

Just enable the “fixed category positions” setting that does exactly that.

6 Likes