Mail system not working even thought I tested it with telnet and other platforms

For some reason, I am not getting a mail from my discourse setup.

I already tested my SMTP settings and they are working for other platforms

Also tested it with Telnet.

1 Like

See Troubleshooting email on a new Discourse install.

A common problem is that Discourse is sending from an address that your server will not accept.

4 Likes

I am in a similar situation. Installed, website responds, registration e-mail never gets there. Tested sending e-mail from the discourse server, from inside the app container using the same configuration/credentials => works, test message sent and received correctly. Running doctor gives me:

Sending mail to my_correct_user@my_correct_domain. . . 
Testing sending to my_correct_user@my_correct_domain using correct_smtp_server_name:465, username:correct_smpt_user@correct_sender_domain with plain auth.
======================================== ERROR ========================================
                                    UNEXPECTED ERROR

Net::ReadTimeout

====================================== SOLUTION =======================================
This is not a common error. No recommended solution exists!
[....]

I tried switching port to 587, then the Net::ReadTimeout doesn’t show in the logs but still nothing gets sent. What next? What is the correct content of DISCOURSE_SMTP_DOMAIN ? That’s the only thing I am still suspicious about.