Mailing list features

Thank you for your answer @awlogan :slight_smile:

It is really hard to understand what are the actual features and how they work. The lack of documentation doesn’t help with this regard (I’ve stumbled upon “learn Discourse” and searched - via Google and the built-in search engine - and still can’t figure out most of the mailing-list functionalities).

@codinghorror: correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve got the feeling that discourse wasn’t thought of as a mailing list replacement from the beginning, then the mailing-list features arrived and there has been no effort so far to gather documentation about it. I can’t find the quotes back but there are a series of them in the line of “Discourse is a web-based discussion platform”. Despite my searches, I’m still unable to assess whether Discourse is a viable mailing list replacement.

What we want to achieve is offer non tech-savvy people a way to take part to the discussions that have been taking place in our mailing lists (mailman powered) so far. Discourse seemed to be a good pick because of the great web interface, functionalities and the mobile support but these were my main questions when I started looking into Discourse, I still can’t figure out the answer :

• could Discourse work as a mailing list with a forum-like web interface ?
  • or, alternatively, could Discourse work as a forum with complete mailing-list functionalities ?