I have got a hard time getting my head around the mailing list features of Discourse. I have read the FAQ, the Features list, a series of posts on the forum including this one and can’t figure out how it works.
I work at a small NGO, we have been using mailing lists (Mailman) and are considering switching to Discourse.
Our NGO work on environmental issues, we have :
- a public mailing list, discussion@, where people can discuss about non-specific topics ;
- a series of public mailings list, topic specific (ie. green-energy@) ;
- a series of private mailings list ;
- a public “mailing list” that we use as newsletter (no one can post/answer except our bot).
Note: in this context, private = non public, accessible (read, write) only to people that we have specifically authorized.
- would it be possible to transpose this behaviour to Discourse ?
- can people “subscribe” to specific categories/tags and interact by email exclusively (receive the content of every new post in a chosen category/tag, answer it, create a new topic,…) ?
- is it possible to create private/invisible categories/tags (see above for definition of “private”) ?
- is it possible to hide users form the /users page or from the editor (suggestions following a “@”) ?
- is it possible to disable the /users page as a whole ?
- is it possible to register without a nickname ?
Thank you in advance for your help