Make groups invisible to the public

(axim) #1

hello discourse community.

here is axim from freiLand cultural center in Potsdam. We use discourse for our internal organisation and we are over 150 people using ist. It works fine.

I have a question:

We do not want that the groups or users can be seen from the public. In the administration settings you can make the users invisible to the public - “hide user profiles from public”. I find no way to adjust this in the same way also for the groups. There is a setting to make also the groups “invisible” but then this applies both to the public as well as the logged-in mode. That makes no sense if registered users can’t see the groups anymore. Did I miss something?

all da best - axim

(Jeff Atwood) #3

We can’t mark groups hidden @tgxworld?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

Pretty sure groups are either visible (to everyone) or hidden (to everyone). The request here is in-between the current options - hidden to anon.

(axim) #5

an another thing is, even when I decided to make the “user-section” invisible to the public it’s still possible to see the usernames when you click on any group in the public interface. I know that you only can see the user-names and not the whole profiles, but if you work with “clear names” as user-names it’s maybe important also not to see the usernames for anonymous users… It’s not what I understand under the function “invisible” to public…

(Robert McIntosh) #6

I may be missing something … and I agree that the facility to hide groups from anonymous users might have its uses, but if you are running a wholly internal community @axim, with the need to hide users and groups from the public, why not just make it “login required” and put the whole site behind a login screen?

If you are hiding groups and users, you can’t also be keeping threads public, can you?

(axim) #7

yeah, maybe that’s the only solution. Actually we use a “public” section for providing press releases for the press…

(Ryan Knight) #8

Is there a way to either make all groups hidden to everyone, or disable the hyperlink for groups a person is a member of on their own profile page?

We are using some groups that automate via SSO to identify the types of users and potentially gate certain areas or our community. We don’t mind if users can see that they are part of a group, but we don’t want them to be able to see this info for anyone else. If I make the groups HIDDEN and turn off the directory then they only show up on my own profile if I’m a member of a group. But if I click on that group name I then see the whole list.

(Ryan Knight) #9

Any suggestions on this? We’d like to either

Hide groups even on your own profile
or
Disable hyperlink to groups shown on own profile