So I am trying to figure out how email settings work, and there is this confusing matrix of options that I’m not sure how they relate:
- Emails tab:
- Send me an email when someone messages me: always / only when away / never
- Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic: always / only when away / never
- When I don’t visit here, send me an email summary of popular topics and replies
- Enable mailing list mode
- Notifications tab
- Consider topis new when
- Automatically track topics I enter
- When I post in a topic, set that topic to
- Notify when liked
So my questions are:
- Do the settings on the Notifications section have any impact on what emails are sent in any situation?
- Do topics that are tracked or watched have any impact on what emails are sent in any situation?
- What categories are emails sent for when mailing list mode is on? Is it supposed to be the entire site or just certain categories? If the latter, how does one select which categories to get emails for?
- The help text for mailing list mode says it “overrides the activity summary.” When it’s on, though, the warning box says “Mailing list mode enabled. Email notification settings are overriden.” So does that mean that the first two settings I mentioned above are always “always” when mailing list mode is on?
- Is there a difference between enabling mailing list mode and listing all categories in the “watched” section under notifications? Does being “notified of all new posts and topics” imply an email also?