Confusing wording for email notification settings

In the " Add more granular user option levels for email notifications" feature that was added in 2.3.0 beta 6, the “Send me email notifications even when I am active on the site” setting was removed in favor of separate “always / only when away / never settings” for messages and for other notifications. (email_messages_level and email_level).

This is a great improvement. However, the accompanying text “Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic” does not cover all emails, especially those that are sent by the watched/tracked settings in Preferences - Notifications - Categories, while these are being covered by that setting.

(Actually it seems like this was always the case, but it got more confusing now since the explicit ‘always send everything’ setting was removed).

Maybe this could be worded in more broad terms (for instance: “topic activity notifications”) so it would cover the category notifications as well ?

1 Like

Maybe, propose your exact changes side by side with the original copy in a reply here?

Sure.

Current:

Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username, or invites me to a topic

Proposal #1:

Send me an email when I receive a notification regarding a topic I’m watching, tracking, or participating in

Alternative:

Send me an email when I receive a notification regarding topic activity

That seems extremely vague. As a rule I don’t like to replace specifics with vagueness. So the answer is currently no.

I do see some other unrelated opportunities for cleaning up copy here though…

I’d like to hear specifically which emails you feel are not covered here, with examples. And please use text, not screenshots, so we can all save some time…

3 Likes

The following emails are covered by the “Send me an email when someone quotes me …etc…” setting but are not included in the descriptive text for that setting:

• emails that are sent because a notification is generated because a new post or topic is created in a category I’m watching because it appears in the list set by Preferences - Notifications - Categories - Watched
  • emails that are sent because a notification is generated because a new topic is created in a category I’m “watching first post” for (set by Preferences - Notifications - Categories - Watching first Post)
  • emails that are sent because a notification is generated because a new post is created in a topic I’m watching because I set it to ‘watching’ on the bottom of the topic
1 Like

Could be like the following:

Send me an email when someone quotes me, replies to my post, mentions my @username , or invites me to a topic, and also regarding categories and topics I’m watching.

Maybe the text is a bit too long, but I think it is clear about what it does.

2 Likes