Managing Subscriptions through Wordpress (Ultimate Member + Paid Memberships Pro)

Hi everyone, great to be a part of this community.

I’m developing a community around the topic of emotional intelligence and relationships. It’s a place where people can ask questions, vent frustrations, offer advice or just a listening ear. The base level of the forum will be free. A more intensive and therapeutic section will be private with paid subscription access.

I’d like to get some feedback on my implementation plan to make sure I’m on the right track. So far, I have prototyped this platform around these technologies:

• Wordpress - CRM
  • WooCommerce - Vitamins, Health Products
  • Discourse - Forum
  • Ultimate Member - Account/Role Management
  • Paid Memberships Pro - Subscription Management

Am I correct in understanding that Roles should be set in Ultimate Member (Free Subscriber, Gold Member, Moderator, Author etc). Paid Membership Pro should fire hooks at Ultimate Member when someone upgrades accounts. Discourse can then mirror those groups and permissions through the WP Discourse plugin.

Do I have that right?

Do roles in Discourse need to be set up separately from roles in Ultimate Member? Does that copy over automatically?

Is there anything else that I need to consider in the development of this project?

I have read through these three threads. I suppose I’m just looking, not for implementation advice, but for confirmation that I have the core functionality laid out in the right way.

I’m also looking to hire a developer(s) and designer(s) to implement this project with me. Please don’t hesitate to give me a shout if you’re interested or you have an excellent recommendation on a graphic designer or a web developer you trust.

Thank you!

1 Like
  • WooCommerce
  • Ultimate Member
  • Paid Memberships Pro

It is unnecessary to use all of these. Since you are going to be using WooCommerce anyway, a better approach would be to use WC Subscriptions and/or WC Memberships which integrate well with the WooCommerce core. Additional layers from PMPro and Ultimate Member will only complicate things and reduce reliability.

Alternatively, consider Discourse Subscriptions and use Discourse as the SSO provider. If the benefits of membership are access to specific areas of the forum, then this would probably be the best solution and you wouldn’t need WordPress membership management at all.

3 Likes

The idea was to avoid paying $200/yr for a proprietary plugin. Thank you for the tip on Discourse Subscriptions. That might just do the job.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.