MaxMind – Is there really no Open Source alternative?

Continuation of the discussion from Upgrade / Rebuilds Fail due to MaxMind DB EOL:

I was recently looking for a mail header analyzer on GitHub to help detect spam and suspicious looking emails. I noticed that the tool displays the country flag corresponding to the IP or domain. I haven’t looked at the code in detail yet, but it made me wonder why Discourse hasn’t implemented a similar solution for geolocation identification. Is MaxMind as a third party really necessary? Or could a simpler and perhaps less accurate solution like the one mentioned be an option?

There are several free/open-source IP geolocation databases in the market, such as MaxMind and IP2Location . Registration is required because they need to inform users to update to the latest database as part of compliance with global data protection and privacy laws. Maybe that was the reason why Discourse did not implement the feature.

There is no such thing. Laws only ever apply on a country-specific basis. This may certainly be an important aspect in relation to operators of websites that fall under these laws. However, private individuals who operate a private website are exempt from this.

Of course, it cannot be denied that most forums are operated by legal entities / “clubs” / “societies” / companies that fall under the laws. Nevertheless, I would still like to be able to manage without third-party providers.

That is the only way to practise data protection & garantee privacy. When profiling/tracking is completely prevented by 3rd parties. When users who visit a website can be sure that their digital movement profile remains private. And the website operator can still check the security and legitimacy of its community.

They use an old version of MaxMind database as well

2 Likes