Maybe a bug on meta, post disappeared

Thanks Lucas for the replay. May I ask have you seen what’s in my post that got removed?

The OP posted his problem and I noticed he used ./launcher update app command. I was curious about how he managed to run this because as far as I remember there is no such command for launcher script. I was thinking whether this is some hidden command that is not showed in help output. Later OP edited his post changed that to ./launcher rebuild app so I saw it was a typo.

I personally don’t see what is the problem here. Then the post get removed and I see two problems:

1. The post was removed without a sound reason. This one could be a personal opinion. I’m OK if the moderator don’t like it as the moderator is a human and has his own taste. But deleting it by moderator is really the only and useful way?

2. The post was removed without any notification to the user. This is about the functionality of the Discourse software, which results in bad user experience. Unfortunately, it seems no one in this topic cares about it. Speaking of Stack Exchange, there are moderator words about why and when a question is closed for some reason. That is good for UX, even if it is just fixed words, it tells the reader and writer what happened.

3. I was not watching meta at the moment the deletion happens. After I switched back , I saw notification icon on my avatar at the top right corner. So I clicked it and the notification panel popped up. But I didn’t see anything new. This problem made me feel there was a bug at that moment. But I’m not sure now whether it is a bug or an expected behavior.

I think the #1 rule for a discussion is you see the original question/problem and you reply to that specific one, instead of throw out a general rule that makes sense in a general way but may not fit into the specific situation. Doing so is just like replying “reboot your computer, if it does not help reinstall your OS” when someone asked about a PC problem.

And last, if you call speak out the problem as “react badly”, then I don’t think the true spirit of community is respected.

Edited to add #3 problem.

5 Likes