Maybe a bug on meta, post disappeared

I’m glad we finally have some constructive discussion here… in contrast to the bureaucratic response from the moderation team. The thing makes me frustrated most is not just about the removal of my post, it is about how the Discourse team responded and take what they thought for granted.

3 Likes

There is such a mark:

2 Likes

kraml,

I guessed that it was just housecleaning when you first raised the question on my original thread. As I remember the order of events it was:

1. I posted in Bugs about a problem and used an incorrect word in a command string.
  2. You noticed that, and asked about my command.
  3. A mod replied to your post to the extent that it was probably a typo.
  4. As the mod was replying to your post, I was editing my original to correct the typo
  5. As I was editing my original the mod also moved the post from Bugs to Support.
  6. During the move the mod removed your and his own replies.

I don’t see a big issue here.

On the one hand, once I had edited my original post your response would seem to make no sense whatsoever to anyone reading the thread afterwards & neither would the moderator’s response to your post. Without this “housecleaning” the thread would have ended up being quite difficult to follow.

On the other hand, there is no technology to prevent a moderator from hell from manipulating the record.

At the end of the day one trusts the moderators - this is a defacto state of affairs. I correct a great deal of stuff on my own forum (broken quotes, spelling mistakes, formatting errors, wrong category). If I had to supply a reason for, or get confirmation from the user(s) involved, for every single action I would end up spending 2-3x more time doing this kind of housework than I do already.

While it would be nice to have a full notification log of which posts were moved or deleted, at what time, by whom, and for what reason, this wouldn’t make any difference in terms of limiting a moderator intent on abusing his/her powers, all it would do is make it a bit more tedious for the moderators who aren’t abusing their powers.

6 Likes

Mod here :wink:

That’s exactly what happened :ok_hand:

I removed both posts because they were not relevant anymore. I didn’t feel the need to send you a PM as I thought seeing the edit on the OP would be enough. I’m sorry I hurt your feelings @kraml but it had nothing to do with you. I was just keeping the topic clean.

6 Likes

I think it is time to experiment with the cool down feature :slight_smile:

9 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 4 days.