Maybe just remove the "Community" header in the sidebar? (A plea!)

nice. i love all the customization options available to us now. i actually hid that section from anonymous users and made a custom global section for all users. i’m sure i could have done it either way, but i liked having the my posts and toipcs updating for member and they are pointless for anon.

1 Like

We’ve done a bit more research on this to see how other sites are using the navigation menu today and what the impact of a change like this would be. There are also handful of moving pieces to this, but here’s a description of what we plan to do now and why:

We want to remove the heading from the primary section in the navigation menu because we think it is not necessary.

• less important links are already hidden behind “More…”
  • the name “Community” has been a bit contentious
  • we observe others where it seems in conflict with the rest of their site design
  • having a fixed section at the top with no heading follows a pattern established by other apps

In order to remove it we have to make a few other changes:

• Remove section heading from Primary section unconditionally
    Don’t show it in the modal at all. I haven’t seen cases where it’s “too busy” and there are lots of sites on header dropdown now anyway. I have seen clashes of the term “Community”.
  • Move Edit section... to be last item under More...
    (Don’t allow this to be customized; don’t show this in the edit section UI)
  • Make /new-topic work correctly
    When included, clicking it should open the composer without navigating you away from the current page.

Finally, here’s one change we’ve decided not to do:

• We won’t bother adding a + New Topic by default right now
    We can revisit this based on feedback, but our assumption is that most sites don’t need this. This has been partially validated by some informal surveying we’ve done previously. Those that want it can add it. Individuals on sites that don’t have it and miss it can add it into their own custom section. In the future we may allow personalization of the Primary section.
8 Likes

the More section is one i hid from my site. i am simply not a fan of drop-downs within other menus. i put the contents of More that i wanted users to see in other sections.

4 Likes

I agree about the drop-down – but kept it for external links (and renamed it from “More”).

1 Like

We’ve just shipped a commit that removes the header for the “Community” section from the sidebar.

Desktop sidebar navigation menu

31e53e1200b4916431baeedb167b333269026a9d

Desktop header dropdown navigation menu

4ad74594a4ccb43db7de06d5f1fd4c244923c56d

Mobile

756c68e4446cf38ae99bbc7eb9064a03823a3ac0

9 Likes

Thank you so much. I really, really appreciate your listening to my quixotic plea here. :heart:

7 Likes

I wasn’t exactly enamoured with the label “Community”, but I have to say that now that the header is gone, it creates an inconsistent look that’s bugging me a bit. I’m not sure how easy it would be to implement, but from a UX point, I would appreciate at least the option to have a header for that section (with customizable title).

4 Likes

Hey the heading community was structuring the menu in a good way and it was customizable, is there a way to add it back because it made most sense for my setup. I would be grateful if I can get an answer

IMG-20230716-WA0024

2 Likes

it sounds like what is really needed is the option to either have that top (community) section header or not in the section customization modal. it is easily renamed in text replacement.

4 Likes

I strongly agree with @Lillinator!!
Also I have some questions:
Is there a possibilty to have it back or a way to work around it, or we should wait for the next update? It really made the difference.

If it comes back, please choose a different default name.

Text replacement isn’t actually easy — there are so many different languages it really would need to be changed in. And, defaults are recommendations.

3 Likes

The text replacement is the right feature as many would love to have the name as they want based on their need, making it static is not ideal, also making it based on one user request is not ideal too
Maybe a feature to choose either to have the header or not is the ideal way