Meta is moving to the Cloud 🌩

Read Only Mode Very Soon

We are moving Meta to AWS today, this will involve about 30-45 minutes of “Read only” mode while we copy the DB over.

20 Likes

Everything should be the same once move is over, but you know… sometimes… plans meet reality and … well … you know.

We are performing this move as part of our project to expand our hosting offers. Once the move is done we will try to publish some data about how performance looked like on AWS vs our super fast servers at Hurricane Electric.

12 Likes

OK Move is done… readonly is out

14 Likes

Will there be a blog post with the reasoning behind this? I remember a lot of posts from Discourse about how much more cycles/dollar were available from bare metal.

3 Likes

Perhaps , some high end customers require hosting on AWS cause they need to be in Europe or China, nothing is changing for our hosted customers.

I do want to do a blog post about how much faster and more predictable our hosting is than AWS at some point

19 Likes

That makes sense, yeah.

OK lets try this again and see if it works now?

This is me ensuring that incoming mail is working … let’s see!

1 Like

I’d love to hear this for sure… and perhaps even some guidance on making the migration ourselves if we have similar needs. Most excellent!

FYI: I had to re-login to meta since the move - I don’t know if it’s related.

8 Likes

Highly-likely related :wink:

2 Likes

This is very exciting news for those of us working globally. Look forward to hearing more.

Just to be clear we estimate running on AWS costs about $1000/month, for this site. It is extremely expensive. (Meta is deployed as an enterprise site on our end.)

5 Likes

Also @dax and @tobiaseigen have reported massively delayed oneboxing. @hawk has reported big delays in desktop notifications as well.

5 Likes

Wow that’s a lot.

Can you share your monthly page views please Jeff? Around a million a month?

More than double that.

5 Likes

Congratulations on the basically flawless move! I’d love to read what your architecture looks like on AWS.

3 Likes

Notification of this post just took 14 minutes to arrive:

UPDATE: It then took ~16 minutes to update this post to Onebox the above post reference.